Messy work = Monster Fuzz tale

Started by squidsquad, December 28, 2004, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

So....I built me Stellan's Differential Fuzz...using a 100k trimmer as suggested.  Must have had a bias problem...turned the trimmer up fully but still wasn't *there*.  While mucking about...I shorted something...WOW...I got WAY
too much compression. The note almost dissapeared & then bloomed over a few seconds into something great.  Found what was shorting & soldered it.  Then I changed the input cap from .1 to .01.  This reduced the compression...but my output was low.  So I tacked a Fetzer Valve circuit to the end...using an NTE 458...and a mini 250k output pot.  Mother of Pearl!
This sucker has bottom...sizzel...and about 4 times the gain of my beloved Rocket!  I wish I could share a schem with you guys...but it's a friggin mess.
Sounds killer though!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

come on Squidsquad, we don't need a circuit, just tell us what is shorting!
(or else we'll have to ask the circuitbenders to help out..)

squidsquad

OK...(straining old eyes thru a magnifying glass)...
First off....for Q1...I had no 2N5088...so I used a PN3569 (Radio Shack).
It appears I touched the ground from the 4.7k electrolytic to the emitter of Q1...and also to ground.  I know...ground loops a-go-go.  And rendered the
6.2k resistor useless.  Warned you it was a mess!  I'll try & post a pic.

jmusser

This was probably a great idea to add on the Fetzer Valve to this circuit. I have had it bagged up to build for a long time, but read somewhere that it was pretty anemic sounding, so I just robbed parts from it. I'm glad it came out well for you.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Fret Wire

How does it clean up with the guitar volume?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

squidsquad

Does not clean up well...only a little....aways some fizz in there...but not horrible.  No good for clean cords...but leads sound nice backed off.  Sure is loud when full up though...can barely turn the amp up...good for over-the top feedback.  BTW...I tried the ol' *adding in a bigger cap with a pot* trick...but that just put the *too much compression* back.  You can't put a boost in front of this thing.  It's very similar to the Rocket...only louder & more out of control...and more high end.

col

I know this is an old post but...... I just tried the differential fuzz and found it good sounding but VERY low vol. Replacing the 100k resistor to the emitters of the pnp transistors with a 10k really brought the sound out. I might try it chained with the Fetzer Valve pedal I have and see how that helps.
Col

squidsquad

BTW....whatever I did back in them old days (knowing next to nothin)...my shorted unit sucks batterys.
Just so ya'll know.