Switching between tuner and effects/amp

Started by Willy, September 01, 2003, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I need a switch so I can tune my guitar and or play, with an indicator.

I thought in a circuit like this. Am I missing something? (like buffering, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Willy

Rodgre

Seems right to me, unless you just want to add something like a 1M resistor from the audio part of the switch to ground, to reduce pops.

Roger

Willy

This resistor should go from the effect input to ground. Right? How does this affect to the signal or the sound?

Peter Snowberg

The resistor will load down the signal a tiny bit, but I doubt enough to make a real difference. If you didn't like the tiny signal reduction, you can always move the value up to 2.2M or 3.3M. You just need a little bit of a DC path to ground.

One suggestion, you might want to move the LED to the tuner side so that the battery lasts longer.

Looks good! It's a nice, simple solution.

Einstein said something like "make things as simple as possible, but not simpler." :)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

DaveTV

What you're looking to build is basically a simple A/B box, which shouldn't require any additional resistors at the input/output, assuming everything is grounded properly. A good A/B box is a handy thing to have, and you'll probably find 101 other uses for it besides just your tuner.

There are a few A/B box designs on the web. I built the one that's shown on Fulltone's web site (my first pedal in fact) and it works great. It uses a 3PDT switch so you can have LED's with true bypass (get the switch from Small Bear--cheaper). Just be sure to wire the switch as shown, with the lugs connected with jumper wires making an X. This will ensure proper grounding and should eliminate pops.

aron

I can't see your picture, but what I did was build a buffer circuit and also have it route the signal to the tuner and ground out the signal to the amp when in tuner mode.