AX84 DIY amp. [Not Stompbox, but hey, DIY nonetheless]

Started by truce11, December 29, 2004, 11:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truce11

I really like the active people and comforting help of this forum.
Thus why i'm asking about a DIY Amplifier.

Has anyone completed the P1 Amp from www.ax84.com?

Was looking to do it for Senior Project, but I'm afraid the troubleshooting and time will be hard-pressed.  [2 year electronics]

I'm gonna do it either way - more than likely as a side-hobby project on my own spare time.  

Save the time purchasing through dobermann as the kit.

Any words?

smashinator

It looks like it's an "easy" build.  Especially if you get the chassis pre-punched.  Plus you can get a turret board pre-made, I believe. I bet you could slap one together over a weekend, if you weren't interrupted.

I personally haven't built one, but I haven't heard of anyone who built it and said "well this thing sucks."  That's pretty impressive.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

RedHouse

If you like this forum, you will also like the forum at AX84.com which has another fine bunch of folks, and hundereds have built the P1.
(I have not, the November was my first AX84 interest)

Purchasing the kit through Doberman is a good idea for a 1st-timer, Chris is a great guy to deal with and very helpful.

The P1 kit comes with an un-punched chassis but a punched one is available at an extra charge. The chassis is a Hammond aluminum chassis, aluminum is very easy to drill with two of those "step drill" bits.

http://dobermanamps.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

truce11

Thanks for the heads up.  I actually have been checking through that forum at ax84.  

I should have mentioned this earlier:
I was asking here because my experience is stompboxes.  I was hoping someone with similar background has already gone before me in trying out diy amps.

Thanks you guys.   8)

1965mt

You should go for it! I built the High Octane. It is not significantly different than stomboxes excpet,,, The voltages are way higher and the transformers are expensive. Tube amps use higher wattage resistors. I use 1/4 w for stomboxes and 1/2w - 10w for tubes. Another difference is that tubes are normally on, kinda like a pnp... The pots/jacks/etc... are very similar.

I haven't bought a kit yet because I like to source the parts. I also like to horse trade... But, you won't get the parts much cheaper than the kits.

As to sound, the HO preamp distortion is great.

Alex C

I have also built the P1, and I agree it's great.  It was probably my 20th DIY project overall, and my first high-voltage project.  Just be VERY careful, and you should have no problems.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

Alex

sir_modulus

You know....I had an electrical engineering prof over at my house the other day...and he really loved my Ross phaser, and thought it was just amazing that I could build something like that. Over an amp (which in itself is not that difficult....you might be better off building a Phaser or something like that.

If you decide to pursue the amp, I think it wouldn't be that hard (do you have 2 years to do it?). I didn't exactly understand the time frame, but if it's for school or university, then I'm sure it'll take you like tops, 1 month (I know with my abilities and access to tools, it would take me 1 week or so...and I'm sure if you have access to all the right tools, and are at least decent in electronics, you can get it done that quick also...)

Hope that helps,

Nish

truce11

Not 100% exactly how much time i'll get to have to spend on it in the lab. Considering the lab has most of the equipment and basic parts.

I'm decent in buildups. But my troubleshooting could use a little more muscle. And like muscles, you have to work and pain them into shape.

Just didn't want some screwed up thing like not having it done or working by presentation/duedate.

I've pretty much made up my mind that it's gonna be my sideproject till I feel I can actually present it.

I don't have to get my Associates to do it....so might as well.

Paul Marossy

Doug Hammond's Firefly and Octal Fatness are great amps, too. Especially the Octal Fatness!  8)