News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Delivery confirmation make sense?

Started by aron, December 29, 2004, 02:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

Does delivery confirmation make sense?

When I email an order confirmation, does having delivery confirmation make sense for us?

In my case, I shipped it out. In your case it either is delivered or not. If it's lost, then obviously delivery confirmation will say not delivered. What do you think?

Johnny Guitar

First, thanks for my order (I picked it up yesterday -- I loved the green and red wrapping for the switches :) )!

I "should" like delivery confirmation; I used to, but I may be proving why it doesn't really help.

I have a private PO Box (non-USPS). I have it so that when I get something shipped, I know it won't be waiting on my porch until I get home but will be safe behind the counter until I collect it (but I don't have to sign for it).

So I thought delivery confirmation (much cheaper actually getting my signature) made the most sense for my case.

However, I have had things delivered to the private PO station (and confirmation recieved) but then the "fine people behind the counter" mistakenly gave the parcel to someone else.

It ended up not being a problem. The company immediately replaced the order (a BIG company who could afford it) and (eventually) the original package showed up again for me (which I sent back to the company since I'm compulsively honest).

But until that moment, I never thought I'd even *want* registered (or any of the other more expensive gaurantees of receipt) for anything unless it was really valuable or really fragile. But now I'm not sure that Delivery confirmation is useful either.

John

aron

I guess the real question is: would people pay the extra 50 cents or so to get it.

The real truth is of course it helps ME, not the buyer. If someone tells me that they didn't receive something, then I take them on their word.

I would think insurance is the most valuable addition along with priority mail. I could see how delivery confirmation is cool for a PO box though. That's a good idea.

Johnny Guitar

I don't think paying $0.50 per order is any disincentive to purchase from you at all.

And I think that is very honorable of you to take people at their word in this regard (and probably good business practice for those large corporations) and I imagine everyone you would be selling to is trustworthy given the nature of the forum.

I just had that sinking feeling with my experience that teh company would merely say, "we delivered it on this date..." and leave me with no recourse.

But again, IMHO, fifty cents is nothing given the convience for us and the labor for you!

John

Hal

you can get confirmation from a USPS PO Box, right?  

If so, yes, good.  If not, no, bad!  Nobody's ever home at my house.

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: Halyou can get confirmation from a USPS PO Box, right?  

If so, yes, good.  If not, no, bad!  Nobody's ever home at my house.

I think delivery confirmation is pretty transparent to the receipient (just an additional tag like postage on the package). As Aron said it is mainly for keeping the sender informed and the handlers and carriers on their toes as to make sure they are actually getting it to the right address.

The additional addvantage of having a (real!) USPS PO Box is that it is the responsibility of the USPS for the package's entire travel until it reaches your hands. But I also think you have to wait in those huge PO lines to see a counter person to claim it if it won't fit in your box.

Marcus Dahl

Instead of delivery confirmation just pay the extra $0.30 for a tracking number. That way it benefits you and the customer. That way you know it got to it's destination and the customer doesn't keep emailing you that it's not here yet. :wink:
Marcus Dahl

aron

Isn't the tracking # the same as delivery confirmation? Unfortunately there is no delivery confirmation for overseas (unless $$$)

toneman

in ebay stuff...
Lots of sellers list insurance as "optional, at buyer's risk".
This is not right.
it's obligation of *seller* 2 ensure the package gets 2 the customer.
"ensuring" is almost always "INsuring".
PriorityMail(PM) is *not* insured by itself.
Insurance on PM add several bucks 2 the shipping cost.
UPS insures automatically for $100.
35cents for each $100 over that.
"DeliveryConfirmation" is mainly for the seller.
Just send package insured.
The PostOffice *does* loose packages.
So does FedEx Ground.
I've never had problems with UPS....
But, i know others who have....
I *always* insure my shipments.
TB
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

aron

>it's obligation of *seller* 2 ensure the package gets 2 the customer.

I understand what you are saying and YES if I were to walk the package over, yes, it's my obligation. Once the mail gets lost, I cannot ensure _that package_ gets to them.  

Once you turn the goods over to the mail, you are at their mercy.

1: Does everyone have to pay more because 1 in 200 packages might get lost?

2: The difference in insurance overseas is roughly:

$1.60 vs. $17.

3: Insurance only protects ME, not the buyer.

I suppose the only way to protect me is to always ship with insurance like you said and adjust the prices accordingly.

MartyMart

I've shipped and had hundreds of items shipped to me in the UK, so far I have not had one "Parcel" go missing !
When I post ebay items in the UK I do use "signed for insured" special delivery and charge the xtra 4 bucks ( £2 ) for doing it.
Some folks have complained about it, but I dont give an option.
It protects ME as I know its been "signed for" and hence delivered !
I'm quite sure that everyone on the forum is "trust worthy" but I never know who I'm dealing with on Ebay  :roll:
The insurance with the UK post office is a joke anyway, it takes months to get a claim looked at, and by that time, the "cash flow" dent of a small amount isn't worth the stress, hundreds of pounds/dollars yes but for 30 bucks .... ??  very very occasionaly . . . . .
I'd say go with the 95% chance of it getting there, condoms are only 1% better at stopping a pregnancy  !!!

Regards,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

SnooP_Wiggles

sending by airmail is very reliable. I've had at least 20 things shipped to Australia from overseas and not a single one lost or taking more than 2 weeks to arrive. I did lose a package on seamail however (but then again i could have been scammed by the seller - didn't tell me it was going by seamail until it had already been sent. suspicious?!?!..). insurance just adds too much especially since your store is all low value stuff. maybe a policy of insurance for orders over $100 would be a good idea but otherwise adds too much to the cost....