surface mount blues

Started by panasonic_youth, December 29, 2004, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

well, i got the parts for the thing modulator that i ordered from mouser, all was fine, except the fact that the NJM567 (http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=245786&e_categoryid=272&e_pcodeid=51324)
is SURFACE MOUNT!! or so i believe. it is too small to fit into my radioshack IC socket, so what do i do? its too small to even fit through the perfboard. i wouild return them, but theyre 60 cents. help, i need to find this chip!!!

Hal

the link you sent says it should be a DIP-8 package. E-mail mouser and tell them they sent the wrong thing.  They have pretty good customer support, even for us small guys.  I bet they'll send you the right one, without even asking for the SMT components back (unless you ordered a lot of them...)

panasonic_youth

yep, called them up. im not going to return it, theres no sense in that. i ordered the DMP one, stupid me. ive got it all straightened out. Thing Modulator will be done soon as the parts ship back here.

panasonic_youth

also, where is the cheapest (reliable)stomp DPDT switch? the standard stompswitches.  not the one in aron's list, because those dont seem to work. the cheapest one I can find is at tubesandmore.com for 5 dollars.

Mike Burgundy

The stomps Aron sells (3PDT) work just fine. Better rate than Carling, even. After that, Smallbear has good prices.
hih

NaBo

yeah, you really should just use one of aron's 3PDTs.  how do they not seem to work?  got a bunch today and they all test perfectly, seem really solid.  they're priced better than any "reliable" dpdt too.

you COULD try local electronic stores, or surplus stores... just phone around - i can get those x-wing DPDTs for just 3 bucks in toronto, and the place has tons, but from what i've heard they arent the greatest quality and will probably fail in the not-too distant future. they havent failed on me yet but we'll see where im at in a year or two.  they're kinda bulky though... take up a fair bit of room inside the enclosure with those wingies.

i guess it comes down to the best balance between reliability and price.  will you still be using it in a few years?  then dish out a couple more bucks and ensure it lasts.

panasonic_youth

no no no. aron's 3PDT switches work fine, but in his 'parts' section he mentions cheap DPDT's that arent reliable.

petemoore

Yupp, I've been stomping on many of them for some time now, EZ wire for dual indicators too !!!  :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.