Octave Up Sick Box Schematic

Started by jmusser, December 30, 2004, 02:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

If someone is using the Easy Build Schematic for the OUSB off of General Guitar Gadgets  http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/octave_up_sick_box_ez.jpg     There is a small "oops". There is a 10uf cap that is located between the gain pot lugs 2 & 3 that connects to the 1N34 diode and 33K resistor. There is a line that I forgot to erase in Paint in there, that shorts the two capacitor leads together, and basically takes the capacitor out of the circuit. Disregard that line, and leave the capacitor in the circuit. I noticed this flaw the other day when I built it, and didn't want anyone (especially newbys) to be confused. It is a good schematic otherwise, and I built my circuit by it the other day with no problems. But then again, I knew that line was not supposed to be there, because I drew it!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

RDV

I always thought those drawings of yours were nice. There's a lot of guys from the early forum days that aren't around. I wonder where they went? I always wondered where you were.

RDV

NaBo

heyyyyy... that IS a nice drawing.  i wish all schems were as easy to comprehend as that.  cool stuff!

SirPoonga

What exactly does this circuit do?  Is it an octave fuzz or a clean octave?

RDV

Quote from: SirPoongaWhat exactly does this circuit do?  Is it an octave fuzz or a clean octave?
There WAS a very good thread on what it is & how to get it going, but Doug Hammond removed all the info in a hissy fit. I'm a little unsympathetic to his cause at this point. He threw out the baby with the bathwater as far as I'm concerned. :?

RDV

SirPoonga

If I understand what's left of that thread it depends ont eh gian from the guitar whether it is a clean octave up or not??

SirPoonga

I assume the caps with one connection point are electrolytes?  Where do you find the project on ggg?  I looked in the octave section but I don't see it.

SirPoonga

I mean like documents.  GGG has docs for most of their projects.  I didn't seeit in their list of effects though.

stm

Quote from: RDVThere WAS a very good thread on what it is & how to get it going, but Doug Hammond removed all the info in a hissy fit. I'm a little unsympathetic to his cause at this point. He threw out the baby with the bathwater as far as I'm concerned. :?
RDV

Man, it is OK to be pissed off, but was it really necessary to erase the previous posts?  Looks like he needs psychological advice... Really.  So much anger kills you from the inside.

Besides that, I consider that rude and childish.  I don't think the rest of the forumites deserved this treatment.

Peace,

STM

NaBo

this thread has the potential to veer dangerously off course, so i'll give it a nudge back in the right direction.

Quote from: SirPoongaI mean like documents. GGG has docs for most of their projects. I didn't seeit in their list of effects though.

well, what other kinda docs do you need?  JD usually just includes a BOM, general build instructions, and a wiring diagram, sometimes mods.  were you hoping for a pcb layout or something?  i'd suggest just perfing this one, you could probably follow the schem layout pretty closely, maybe one or two jumpers. just plan it out before hand and you'll be fine with this one

Quote from: SirPoongaWhat exactly does this circuit do? Is it an octave fuzz or a clean octave?

well, something crystal clean wouldnt be very "sick" would it?  that gain pot isnt just for show  :wink:

there's a few samples floating around on the forum i think, if you can't find one i think i downloaded one for reference so you can pm me and i'll email it to ya

good luck with it, i plan on trying it out not too long after i get me a breadboard.  my brother gave me  30$ gift certificate for a mall here that i gotta use before i go back to school... it just happens to have a radioshack in it with 2 breaddies in stock!  hurray for necessary spending

SirPoonga

Quote from: NaBo
Quote from: SirPoongaWhat exactly does this circuit do? Is it an octave fuzz or a clean octave?

well, something crystal clean wouldnt be very "sick" would it?  that gain pot isnt just for show  :wink:

there's a few samples floating around on the forum i think, if you can't find one i think i downloaded one for reference so you can pm me and i'll email it to ya

good luck with it, i plan on trying it out not too long after i get me a breadboard.  my brother gave me  30$ gift certificate for a mall here that i gotta use before i go back to school... it just happens to have a radioshack in it with 2 breaddies in stock!  hurray for necessary spending

Sure, I'm looking at everything right now.  Actually I got a RadioShack gift certificate and am looking at how to spend it :)  Once a breadboard is in stock....  I called the two RadioShacks around here, they don't have them in stock but online says they do :(

If you read one of my other threads I'm looking to make a chorus with a clean octave up (switchable) on the delayed signal.  Well, actually I will have an effects out and in jack on the delayed sginal so I can put any effect on it :)

jmusser

I'm not really sure why Doug pulled all of his stuff either. I didn't get that part of the rebellion, but then again, I'm too dense to be that sensitive. Like I've said before, we're all just our posts, and we really don't know each other. One thing I did do, was pull Doug's sound sample for the OUSB, so if you E Mail me, I'll send it to you. It was public domain at the time, so I don't feel bad about it. As for RDV's question of where I've been. When I first got on the forum, back in the days when I did these schematics, I was having marital problems, and was using the forum to hide from it. Long story short, we patched things up after awhile, and we're still married. I got involved in other stuff for awhile, and then sometime during the summer, I decided to work on one of my boxes, and forgot how much I enjoyed it. So here I am. My original Easy Builds are on my other crash computer, so I will have to start from scratch doing them again, but I want to sometime. I've been on vacation this week, so I have been heavy into building, while i had the time. that's my story and i'm sticking with it!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

SirPoonga

I suppose a little distortion wouldn't be bad either.  One thing I have found is it is tough to make a distortion on bass sound bad  :twisted:

stm

Quote from: SirPoonga
If you read one of my other threads I'm looking to make a chorus with a clean octave up (switchable) on the delayed signal.  Well, actually I will have an effects out and in jack on the delayed sginal so I can put any effect on it :)

This should make a nice 12-string guitar sim.

SirPoonga

Quote from: stm
Quote from: SirPoonga

This should make a nice 12-string guitar sim.

That's sort of what I am going for.  Though VSTs and other means on my computer I have created an effect I want to try and dupe.  Basically it's a chorus with a pitch bender on the delayed signals.

It would be really cool if I can make something that can have multiple configurable delay timings, each with it's own pitch bender.  IE a way to make autochords of and shape and size :)  I can do this digitally on my computer, analog is a whole different story.

Anyway, I found just having one delayed signal an octave up on my bass sounds really cool.  

However, what I plan on doing is either making a zombie chorus or a small clone and on the delayed signal just before it combines with the clean signal to put an effects out and in jack like the bass paralooper.  I suppose you could sum up what I just said by saying I want to combine a small clone with bass paralooper :)  This way I can put any effect if wanted, such as an octave up, on the delayed signal or just keep the delayed signal clean.  Heck, I might even put and effect ou and in ont he clean signal too.  That way I could make it sound like a distorted bass (I play bass if you haven;t figured that out :)) playing with another octave up guitar that is clean (or some other effect on the delayed signal).

Sorry for hijakcing the thread like this, continue on witht he OUSB discussion.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: stmThis should make a nice 12-string guitar sim.

That one seems to keep coming back about every 14 months or so.  The thing that a lot of folks forget is that 12 strings have dissimilar "companion" strings for the bottom wound strings, and identical companion strings for the upper unwound ones.  The lower strings can be mimicked by (clean) octaving a chorussed sound (or octaving a chorussed one), but the upper strings are simply chorussed.

If it was the case that none of the notes on the top 3 strings overlapped with notes on the bottom 3, simulation would be a breeze.  Unfortunately that isn't the case.  I suppose it *might* be possible to use some kind of frequency dividing network and octave what comes through the lower end, being sure to look the other way and twiddle your thumbs for the stuff that gets simultaneously octaved and NOT octaved, but of course all the harmonics in those lower notes will be part of what comes through the highpass portion of that dividing network.  Bloody stupid capacitors!!  They don't even know what NOTES we're playing.

Maybe....just maybe, there is some kind of brilliantly simple trick that would do it.  After all, we had long debates about the complexity and near impossibility of mimicking a sitar, and Tim Escobedo proved us all wrong with a FET, a cheap interstage transformer, and a couple of diodes.  In this case, though, because we're asking it to treat some strings differently, as opposed to treating them all the same, I'm not holding my breath,

SirPoonga

Quote from: RDVI always thought those drawings of yours were nice. There's a lot of guys from the early forum days that aren't around. I wonder where they went? I always wondered where you were.

RDV

I agree, I've seen several, they are easy to follow.  However, I think my other sidetracked discussion over looked a question I had.  Are the electrolytes the caps with only one connection point?

SirPoonga

Quote from: Mark Hammer
If it was the case that none of the notes on the top 3 strings overlapped with notes on the bottom 3, simulation would be a breeze.  Unfortunately that isn't the case.

I get what you are saying, and I'm a bass player ;)  I didn't think of a 12 string sim because of that.  I suppose you'd have to make a custom guitar wiring.  Have an output jack on your guitar for each pickup magnet  :lol:

Actually, if oyu just wanted an octave up and clean signal at the same time you wouldn't have to chorus, just split the signal and octave up one of them, ala the bass paralooper.

stm

I agree that only the three lower strings have the octave, but I think it could be *reasonably* managed with a couple of crossover filters.  I try not fall into the trick of being too purist on an issue, because many times I've disregarded simple solutions which may not be perfect, but still are worthy and interesting.

Next year I will post a schematic showing something like this.  Now's too late and tomorrow I'm leaving off town for the weekend and new year celebration.

Peace!

STM