DOD 250 reissue - Fuzz Central's Liquid Drive

Started by Jason D, December 30, 2004, 03:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason D

I was wondering since I saw that Musician's Friend has the DOD 250 reissues on sale for $29.99, if it would be a good idea to buy one and mod it.

What I mean is, is it possible? Has anyone looked inside? They do use normal size components, not tiny surface mount parts, right?

I would like to get one, and try to mod it into Phillips Liquid Drive at Fuzz Central.

MartyMart

Do a search, i think there was some discussion about the "re-issue" a while back, they have cheap circuit board mounted jacks, not sure if they use SMT though !! the "Zack Wylde" Dist + version does !
If not, then its very "cheap" so go for it !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

panasonic_youth

well, depending on the price, id go with the Ywngie Malmsteen signature model.  It's supposed to be more vintage.  I've played a reissue 250 through my fender stage 160 w/ jackson humbuckers and i must say: i was thoughroly (???) disapointed.  barley any distortion whatsoever.  that might be due to the fact that my fender seems to eliminate a bit of the distortion from pedals that i run throuhgh it, but still, my '78 MXR distortion plus sounds fine. Although, the modding can change that.  You could acctually mod it INTO a vintage dist +, but regardless of that: they use real size components but its all PCB mount as far as the pots and switches go.  Aside from that, its a great idea to mod it.

Jason D

Went ahead and ordered one, though they are on backorder. So, we'll see what happens.

jimbob

I saw the same deal and almost went for it. Insead I bought a Boss sd-1 and Boss ds-1 from samash.com for 39.99 and 45.99 $ respectively with no shipping or taxes!!!  Got both NEW for 84.00$$$ Going to mod both!! Tell us about the insides when you get it. Thanks
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMartDo a search, i think there was some discussion about the "re-issue" a while back, they have cheap circuit board mounted jacks, not sure if they use SMT though !! the "Zack Wylde" Dist + version does !
If not, then its very "cheap" so go for it !

Marty.

I bought one myself right before Christmas (the dod od250). Just wanted to let everyone know that it is NOT smt...its standard components, cheap pots, and a spdt switch that is begging to be changed. Easy pedal to mod, great sound once modified.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks,
Brian