Sunn Buzz info?

Started by drewl, December 30, 2004, 12:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewl

Hi, got a Sunn Buzz unit, looks like a fuzz, plugs right into amp input like the orange squeezer compressors.
Anyone have any info, or possibly a schem?
it's got 3 transistors, 2 are NPN ECB, 1 NPN EBC...looks like they were changed so I don't know if they're correct or not...so any info would be appreciated!
thanks.

drewl

NONE of you guys has ever seen/heard/played/owned one of these?
oh well, thanks.

Dan N

Hi drewl,

It's rare! Can you trace it? We love new fuzz schematics around here, and weird vintage stuff gets some of us quite excited!

Do you have a digital camera? With clear shots of the top and bottom of the pcb, someone here could figure out the circuit.

Please?!?

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
   Yeah, I "second" Dan's request!
[Hi Dan, how are you?]
Brian.

Dan N

Hi Brian,

I knew I was safe to write "we" 'cause of you!

drewl

yeah, i started to but work got in the way!
it's powered from a 1.5v AA battery, similiar to the "Olson new Sound" I found, but that unit uses PNP transistors.

jmusser

I liked how this post evolved. "Hey do you guys have a schematic"? "No, but will you draw us one"!  :D I'm right there with them though. I'm always looking for something I've never heard before to build. That reminds me, I think I'll build Tim's Octave Blender. I don't know what it sounds like either.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mark Hammer

Actually, Drewl came here after posting on Ampage.  I recommended that he might get a better response here.  It appears this is a sufficiently rare bird that he may have to wait a while for it to catch the attention of someone.

Not to worry Drewl.  I had a Shin-Ei fuzz that I had to wait for information on for a while, but eventually it came through, and it now happily forms part of my arsenal.  You'll get yours eventually.

drewl

Well, I am lazy.....but don't worry guys I'll draw it!
like I said, 2 of the xstrs were changed. the way it's set up now, the signal is being applied to the collector of 2 of the xstrs...which leads me to believe they're wrong. Using a standard ECB 2n3904 etc. would have the signal being applied to the base, emitter is grounded, and collector gets supply and output coupling cap to next stage.......however it don't woik!

Now, seeing how the supply is only a 1.5v AA...is that enough for 2n3904's etc. or do I need germaniums? or daisy's, or Chrysanthimums......ahhh ahhhhha ahhhh......
I'll pic it tomorrow, camera's at home!

drewl

Okay, here it is....took me longer to scan it than to draw it.
this is the way Q1,2 and 3 were when i found it.
so tell me what configuration they should be!
NPN, PNP, orientation?

Mark Hammer

Need to repost that one, buddy.  I saved the image you have shown, but it's only about 110 x 200 pixels and very fuzzy.

petemoore

Looks like NPN Si's fit the schem. [from just looking]
 Emitter toward ground, base gets input signal, collector to next ---> stage or output.
 I dunno, looks funny the way the 220k is from C to E of last transistor.
 Tweeking those collector resistors might get better mileage. ['glance' impressions].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemooreLooks like NPN Si's fit the schem. [from just looking]
 Emitter toward ground, base gets input signal, collector to next ---> stage or output.
 I dunno, looks funny the way the 220k is from C to E of last transistor.
 Tweeking those collector resistors might get better mileage. ['glance' impressions].

i agree..,..looks like NPN...and i'd guess that the 220K resistor actually feeds the collector of Q3, and Q3's emitter goes to ground AND to the output cap, kinda like the Sam Ash fuzz...

but then again, i'm not lookig at the pedal, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :D

drewl

that's what I had figured, but as soon as you apply power, signal on the base of Q1 flatlines.
you end up with supply voltage (1.5v) on the base and around .04v on the collector.

Mark Hammer

I had this problem with my old Shin-Ei fuzz, so I'll take a stab in the dark here.  Are you certain this thing goes from left to right as shown?  or does it go in the opposite direction?  And if so, do you have the pins accurately identified, especially the rightmost transistor?

drewl

correction, you get .6v on the base of Q1 and Q2 and around .04v on collectors of Q1 and Q2.

drewl

No, pins are not correctly identified, hence the question marks in the transistor circles.
as far as direction, it has a female switching jack on the "left" which grounds the battery as normal....and a male 1/4" on the "right" where it supposedly plugs into an amp.
but then again the "orange squeezer" compressors were reversible....
think this might work if reversed reorienting the transistors?

drewl

Of course if it were reversed you'd have this ugly thing hanging off your guitar!

Dan N

Thanks drewl!

I can see this going in the other direction too. Like the Jordan Bosstone that did plug into the guitar. That would give you an emitter follower driving into the fuzz part with a volume pot at the end.

I first posted the Walco Note and Chord Sustainer schematic backwards. Rob Strand got it turned around...

Heathkit is the only other 1.5 volt silicon fuzz that I can think of, and it only has 2 transistors.