Gonkulator DOD FX-13

Started by panasonic_youth, December 30, 2004, 05:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

First of all: im very interested in this pedal, althouhg i am too poor to buy one, does anyone have a gonkulator and a heart for someone with low funds? secondly: has anyone here ever designed a gonkulator type effect? i read that it runs the distortion and modulation paralell and then blends them, so i would imagine it would be quite easy to make one, if you have a decent ring mod and a decent distortion. just asking for information.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

About any ring modulator is as good as the one in the Gonkulator.
My commercial Blue Ringer uses a ringmodulator with a final mixing stage, allowing you to blend the straight & RM signals, it would as you say be fairly easy to have a distortion stage before the original signal goes to the mixer stage.

Perhaps someone will design a unit around the LM13700, you can use one half of it as a multiplier, and overdrive the other half as a distortion generator! then just pan between the tow outputs for the mix.
Plus, either a 7555 cmos for the oscillator, or else another LM13700 and use3 it as the oscillator (t5he LM13700 multiplier and LM13700 oscillator are in the National Semiconductor dta sheets on the web).
Dont bother with the oscillator that uses only one half of the LM13700..it's crap :x

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Gonk, but if you want to emulate it, about any ring mod and your fave distortion run in parallel and mixed will do the job!

panasonic_youth

ya, im seriously thinking about making an obsidian and boxing it with a thing modulator.

cd

Believe me, forget about the Gonkulator.  It sounds horrible, and not in a good way either - there's tons of oscillator bleed-thru and the distortion is a joke (it *is* a Grunge pedal, after all).  A couple of big names used it and BAM! it goes up in price.

Start with a better sounding ring mod and distortion circuit and a couple of mixers.

jmusser

Gusses Simple Octave Up does some good ring mod on the E,B, & G strings, if you turn the gain pot all the way down. This is one of the better ones I've heard, especially when this pedal isn't advertised this way. It's an easy circuit to build. I used the TL071CP chip in it instead of the 081. Anytime I try to play anything with ring mod, it makes me laugh, because it's so weird to hear notes try to harmonize mathmatically!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Transmogrifox

Quote from: panasonic_youthya, im seriously thinking about making an obsidian and boxing it with a thing modulator.

I think you're on to something.

QuotePerhaps someone will design a unit around the LM13700, you

I take that as a challenge.  I have an envelope filter to finish up, and another pedal I have promised to a friend, then hopefully I'll be back onto trying new and weird things.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

guitarhacknoise

Can you even locate a gonkulator these days....... if ever?
how about a Ring Stinger?
P.Y. ,
Granted I don't know crap about nothin', but....
If you want to make noise from a simple circuit..........try the lmc567
or even the parallel universe.............
if you want to make noise AND give your self a headache.....(from thinking to hard!)
get a couple of 1:1 transformers and some diodes and some ............major study into differant types and apps for oscillators then  vco's then.................
or work as many extra hours as you can and buy one! seriously!
their are some folks that have spent a lot of time trying to make crazy noise utilizing a hell of a lot of knowledge and skill and half of them can't even do that good enough to satisfy the paying "public"
And then again some of them have givin' you direction ( not me, no way in hell is it me!)
a mooger fooger
or a Blue Ringer
or a frequency analyzer.
or a..................CA-09
then figure out how they work.........
then tell me............
Cuz I am in the same boat!
"hey man, wanna buy some diodes?"

"is that the carrier or just my tinitus?"

-sorry, my dad came into town and we have been getting ....ah...nevermind.................

:evil:
"It'll never work."

cd

FYI the Gonkulator uses a 1496 chip.

Jason Stout

FWIW
Anyone reading this thread may want to check this out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=20488&highlight=gonkulator

I pulled this schematic from page two:
Jason Stout

panasonic_youth

well, after further analysis, thats not worth building, id rather just do the obsidian idea.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

no wonder there is bleedthru.. there is one too few trim pots to blance the 1496!! I like that cheapass diode sine shaper, though :wink: