A tale of woe and sorrow...

Started by Ge_Whiz, December 31, 2004, 12:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge_Whiz

I can't believe what the last day of 2004 had in store for me.

Just before Christmas I proudly took delivery of the last Washburn WI14 in 'girly desert camouflage' finish that Music123 had in stock. It looks great, but arrived with a non-functional tone control. No big deal.

I re-soldered the tone pot and got it working. I decided to fit a couple of 1nF treble-bleed capacitors to the volume pots, and, having done this, I discovered that the bridge volume control had died completely and utterly. I desoldered it and tried to revive it, to no avail.

Having salvaged a suitable replacement, I fitted it and attempted to solder it, only to discover that my trusty soldering iron of 20 years had finally died. I dug out my spare and soldered up the pot, only to discover that it had died catastrophically during the soldering. Now, this is something of a record; I've never killed a pot before, let alone two in a day. So, many frustrating hours later, and still no working guitar.

Still, all this pales into insignificance compared with other events in the world today. I'll try again next year.

A happy 2005 to all.

Paul Marossy

Your day sounds like my "vacation" last week!  :lol:
I guess we should count our blessings, huh?

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyYour day sounds like my "vacation" last week!  :lol:
I guess we should count our blessings, huh?
Ditto!

RDV

jimbob

Sounds like a sign of some sort.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Ge_Whiz

Well, things were better today. I got some real fiddly techbodgery done, such as converting a push-fit knob to fit a larger shaft with a flat, so that all the knobs would match. Would have done more, but I can't find the £$%^&* copper foil anywhere!

petemoore

Double Ditto.
 I survived the knife and gun threat at my sister's Xmas Party.
 I think I'll survive the Ringworm I dug out of my foot [with the peice of meat].
 People ask 'How was the trip?"...I say conditions were perfect for driving...Grey [greatly prefferred IMO to ultra intense sun], and moist/not too cold [heater didn't have to dry my head to keep my feet warm].
 And "did you have fun at the party'...oh it was interesting...I don't tell them anything about what I told the hosts..."just don't ever try inviting me there again".
 My sister and I get along just fine, ...she's just south of "Brown Town Swamp" [Actual name...lol] and I'm up here where the cold cuts back on  kills most of the bugs, ticks, ringworms, and Mocassin snakes.
 I'm not into the 'buttload' for Xmas Gift thing...I guess when you live in it, you dont' notice it so much and need someone from the outside to come in and identify it...I just don't like to have to be the one is all.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

hmmm bad news, but maybe good in a way. If that pot died so easily "under fire" then maybe those pots are bad quality anyway and would have developed problems onstage.

Here's to a better start in 2005!