Ts-808 (workin, but a question)

Started by Sic, December 31, 2004, 10:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

Yay, i got my TS-808 working, sounds really nice.

i used the schematic at generalguitargadgets.com
got a question or two.

the gain pot has one lug not connected to anything just leave this blank or connect it to the middle lug? reason i asked is cause there is writing over where you "would" see what its connected too.

also i think i have one of my pots wired backwards...

and another question, one of my pots seems to control sustain instead of what it should. when i turn it it gets splatty and the sound has a sharp decay to nothing... but if i put it in a sweetspot it sounds awesome with huge sustain ((mis-biased transistor?)) (iirc i believe its the gain pot)

NaBo

uh...  dunno what you're looking at for the wiring, but JD's wiring diagram clearly shows how to wire it correctly:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ts_lo_808.gif

no writing over anything, lug 2 is connected to lug 3 on the drive pot.

Dai H.

it does seem a little more secure, less likely to be scratchy if you wire the open lug to the middle when wiring a pot as a variable resistor--even for trim pots too. Maybe it floats a bit and picks up noise if left unconnected?

Sic

wow, im a moron, i didn't even see the layout... i just used the schematic and did an on-the-fly perf layout.

cool, thanks, i'll let you guys know

NaBo

well if the pot ends up being your only problem, i'd say good job.  if you can wire up a perfboard small enough to fit in a box, working on-the-fly from a schematic, you're WAY ahead of me.  im still trying to wrap my head around using the breadboard i got 2 days ago...

Sic

well, got it all fixed, sounds really nice, i like it.

someone posted about a ts-808 and mentioned their 500k pot wasn't 500k... so i tested mine cause it seemed kinda lame... and it was around 390k AS WELL!! what are the odds of that?

only thing i have to do now is finish the box... i've already done 5 coats then had to strip em all cause i didn't clean the box first and the 5 layers came off =/

at least im not getting runs...

painting is alot harder than i thought =/