News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

ceramic caps

Started by panasonic_youth, January 01, 2005, 06:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

so for whatever reason, i decided to use ceramic caps in my thing mod, and in the process of perf boarding, ive accidentally caused a small bit of the ceramic to chip off. this isnt much at all just a bit, acctually the only part that has come off is the lead, the circle remains untouched. is this ok?  also, when perfing, i only have to solder at the joining of two components right? i seem to think ive seen photos where people have soldered at the base of a component and at the end of the lead. like this:

------------0rrrrrrrrrr0------------0-----------------0dddddddddd0--------------

the 0 would represent a joint, and the r's are to represent a resistor, the d for a diode (just for instance, you know) do you need that extra joint at the beginning of a lead?

vdm

to make any circuit the solder at the component is unnecessary as you only need the connection between components for the circuit to work.

i always solder at the component because i find that way i can put all the components in and bend their leads to touch each other and i dont have to worry about them moving.

it's really just personal preference, though it may offer a little more stability with the extra point of contact.

trent

panasonic_youth

i like that reasoning, i think i'll start doing just that. thanks. but what about the caps?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you mean that you have bent the ceramic cap lead close to the cap bodyy & chipped off a chunk of coating, that cap should still work. But if you were at NASA, you would replace it, in case it allowed moisture to get inside somehow.
Whenever I have to bend a lead near the body of a component, I grab the lead right at the component with a small flat pliers. Then I bend the lead on the side of the pliers away from the component.  If there isn't room for my smallest flat nose pliers, the bend is 'too close' :wink: