Tube Screamer Mod

Started by jimbob, January 01, 2005, 11:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I added the AMZ mod that included placing a spst switch between the .047 cap connected to the 4.7k. I dont really understand it alot in terms of sound but it seems to go from bassy sounding to alot less bassy sounding when switched. What i dont understand is how it seems to have more bass to it with this mod than stock. I thought this would make it go from stock response to flat response? Or maybe ive had too many beers? Either way its a really cool and easy mod to do.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Jason D

Your right it does make it more "bassy". A stock TS has a mid-range boost, or a bass frequency cut. Depends on how you look at it. So by adding back in the bass that was cut to give the TS its signature mid range boost, you know have a flat response. No one frequency range is boosted above the other. Adding that bass back in makes it sound bassy compared to a stock TS.

jimbob

well i kept reading and it said it must be connected to vr 4.5+ and not to ground. I thought it was. Am i wrong?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Jason D

Most are, the stock unit is, and JD Sleeps at GGG is, I believe the Tonepad version though is going to ground instead of Vr+.

bigjonny

The TS-7 schematic reveals a pretty handy mod that is similar.  TS-7 is part-for-part TS-9, except for this mod.  I have compared it.

Anyhow, the mod: Flip a DPDT, and is swaps out C34+R85 for R28+C16 on one lug, and on the other lug, shorts C43 to ground, reducing the amount of bass-cut, i believe.  My pal has one, and I like the sound.  It's called "Drive/More Drive".  The TS-7 doesn't put this on a stomp switch, which is a shame.  The savvy DIYer should obviously resolve that issue!