turning my rangemaster into a bsm mt (tony iommi mods)

Started by unidive, January 02, 2005, 09:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unidive

does anyone have a schematic for the bsm mt boost pedal?

its is my understanding that the bsm is just a modded rangemaster, since I already have a rangemaster and its only a few component changes, why not save a lot of money doing it myself :o

thankyou :)

unidive

and a little addem to this question

exactly how distorted is the signal coming out of this pedal supposed to be

I notice a moderated amount of clipping when the gain is one full..sort of a fuzzy od

petemoore

Rangemasters are quite amp sensative.
 Will not sound the same with an SI amp I don't think, alot of the distortion characteristics this pedal is known for [recording artists famous recordings that used them] are produced actually in the tube.
 Read GEO's inclusive ['dissective'] Rangemaster article.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

unidive

Quote from: petemooreRangemasters are quite amp sensative.
 Will not sound the same with an SI amp I don't think, alot of the distortion characteristics this pedal is known for [recording artists famous recordings that used them] are produced actually in the tube.
 Read GEO's inclusive ['dissective'] Rangemaster article.

I own a laney BLO 100watt top :(

well, not really, but I still want it anyway :o

see I wanted to buy the bsm but I KNEW it was overpriced, so I just got a cheap ranger clone from bigtone and decided to mod it.

bwanasonic

Quote from: unidivesee I wanted to buy the bsm but I KNEW it was overpriced.

Well there's your business opportunity right there! If you think it's overpriced, then produce a unit that functions as well, and is built as well, and sell it cheaper! The world will beat a path to your door and you will be able to buy the amp of your dreams. I often think Pete Snowberg's calculator for figuring the break even/ profit point for a business should be posted as a sticky here.

Kerry M

electrictabs

i think the rm metal pedal is modded in two ways
  1.the input/output cap.try larger values than stock
i 'd say 10n for input cap and 22n to 47n for output cap.i think you'll get there by only changing these things...if not try this
  2.read RG's article for biasing the transistor. try measuring less than 7v on collector until you hear what's best for you...(don't go under 4.5-5V)

unidive

Quote from: electrictabsi think the rm metal pedal is modded in two ways
  1.the input/output cap.try larger values than stock
i 'd say 10n for input cap and 22n to 47n for output cap.i think you'll get there by only changing these things...if not try this
  2.read RG's article for biasing the transistor. try measuring less than 7v on collector until you hear what's best for you...(don't go under 4.5-5V)

does 10n = .1uf?

I swapped the .005 for a .05 for the input cap last night (the cap going from the input to the base of the tranny), I'm told it will have widened the frequency range at which the pedal boosts, what does swapping out the output cap do?

vdm

changing both the input and output caps to larger values will increase bass response. In this pedal these caps are small enough to deliberately filter some of the bass out of the signal so you are left with what seems like a treble boost. Some people like to have different settings of input cap on a SPDT switch.

and btw,

10nF = 0.01uF
100nF = 0.1uF

divide x1000 not a hundred.

trent

electrictabs

yes changing the caps will increase bass response but this is the way his (Tony Iommi) unit was modified.to give a fuller and darker sound than the original
i wouldn't try the .05 for input cap is too big
try 10n or 15n max

unidive

Quote from: electrictabsyes changing the caps will increase bass response but this is the way his (Tony Iommi) unit was modified.to give a fuller and darker sound than the original
i wouldn't try the .05 for input cap is too big
try 10n or 15n max

yeah, I used a .047uf and frankly it was a little too distorted and muddy for my tastes

I'll come back once I've put a .01uf

thanks for all the help guys :)

STOMPmole

I think .015uf was the magic value I used for the Iommi mod...and it nailed the old Black Sabbath tone perfectly!.

unidive

I used a .009uf this time.....and it sounds almost better than the bsm sites samples :o

I'll try the .015 next itme I hit radio shack

unidive

just to be clear, the output cap is the last component in the circuit right?

how exactly does this change the sound?

bwanasonic

Quote from: unidivejust to be clear, the output cap is the last component in the circuit right?

how exactly does this change the sound?

That's what sockets are for!  :wink:  It's fun to find out! Basically it will change how much bass passes thru. Another useful addition is a DPDT toggle switch for changing the input capacitance.  Here's how I wired mine:

I used 4n7 for both caps, but figure out what works best for your setup. You could use an on-on-on DPDT to switch between three cap values. You may find that a value that works great for  a humbucker, makes your strat's single coils sound like a cheap transistor radio, so it's nice to have some flexability.

Kerry M