Best (with guitar volume pot) cleaning overdrive ?

Started by mat, January 02, 2005, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Hi Paul,

Very nice sounds on the Super Hard On. I really liked if the videos would show also the middle gain settings..

Do You think they adjusted the amps volume between the clips ?

cheers,
mat

Quote from: Paul MarossyThe SHO would be referring to the Super Hard On. It's a basically a booster pedal, and it kicks butt. Check out the video clip...  8)

mat

Hi mojotron,

This is really something i have to check out  :D

Thanks alot for Your tip and details  :D  :D  :D

cheers,
mat

I wanted the same kind of tone and never really found it either, until I was fiddling with a bunch of different Ge transistors in the "Boutique Fuzz Face" circuit at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_b_sc_pp.gif.

With an NTE102 with an hfe of 70 in Q1 and an NTE 102A with an hfe of 160 in Q2, the fuzz pot rolled back to about 500 ohms and contour pot set to 1k - I use the bias pot to control the level of overdrive. Also, you really have to use mylar caps and .1uf for the output on this for warmer sound.

Now if I just crank the volume with the bias control at about 30% and let the amp's preamp do the bulk of the clipping - this is a very clean, warm slight overdrive that is really dynamic. If I pick softly or turn the volume knob on the guitar down to like 8 or 9 the sound is 100% clean, but with the volume all the way up I get a nice sweet overdrive when I dig into the strings... This is one of those settings where I have played hours while only messing with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar for a huge variation in tones. The carlton sound is one of them.

The key here is don't let the Ge fuzz face get fuzzy.... it makes a great booster/slight overdrive that can drive a good amp into a really nice dynamic overdrive.[/quote]

Paul Marossy

mat-

On the SHO, I think it's just Z. Vex tweaking the "crackle okay" knob. I like that one because it has a lot of clarity at lower gain settings and then you can get some serious boost as you turn up the knob! Another great Z. Vex creation.  8)

Nasse

The first ga tsf i did. It has been sounding not that good after I did last checkings, I later did few variations of the theme which sounded much better. It sounds quite ok at distortion set to max and near when the distortion is set to minimum, but it is not at its best in between. I quess by fiddling with cap values and perhaps another chip would make it better, or preamp/buffer.

But for me it sounds nice as almost clean so you dont really hear distortion, and when I turn guitar volume knob up it gives some chrunch
  • SUPPORTER