Vanishing Point finished build and pedal board PIC

Started by Michael Allen, January 03, 2005, 10:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

I finished my Vanishing Point the other night. I used it to sequence a Morley Power Wah. I really like it, it's a lot of fun to play with. I've got some problems with the random function and with the reset function but I should be able to figure them out.

And here is my *almost* completely homemade pedal board. Used a suitcase to make the pedal board, and a Dano tuner...otherwise it's all homebrew!

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

gez

I like the 'punk' attitude of your finishes!  :D

What make are the mini pots you're using michael?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

Great ! thats a LOT of pots you got there !!

Marty  :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

The Tone God

Quote from: Michael AllenI finished my Vanishing Point the other night. I used it to sequence a Morley Power Wah. I really like it, it's a lot of fun to play with. I've got some problems with the random function and with the reset function but I should be able to figure them out.

Great stuff!!! I have spent some of my holiday time on this but haven't sorted everything out...yet. I have solved the random mode problems. Here is what I changed. I'm right now using a board I layed out for the 40106 so values might have to be tweaked for the 4093.

I use a 100pf cap, the meter actually reads 130pf, for the HF clock instead of the 0.01uF cap. Since the HF clock is running faster the rotation cycle is more noticable but it can be shortened by tweaking the resistor to ground in the pulse detector circuit. In the schematic its 100K. I changed it to a 1K. The HF clock runs fast enough with the smaller cap to give plenty of clock cycles for a "random" result.

I'm using a 100uF cap on the output and 33K timing resistor for the modulating clock.

The reset pin when left open can be sensative to pulses/noise around it. This causes occassional unintentional resetting so I put in a pull down resistor on the reset pin so when its left open it will not float. A 10K or 100K resistor to ground works fine. It will not interfere with the switch operation.

Make sure you use a high enough resistor for the LEDs including the optos. If the value is to low the power draw will cause funny timing glitiches.

After all these changes my board functioned properly. The most you will have to do is play with the timing resistor in the modulating clock.

I'm still sorting out ticking issues with the power wha circuit. Part of my noise issue is with the grounds but I'm may switch to a different circuit. Maybe the one from The Original Vanishing Point or maybe a transistor based twin-t. I still have to play with it.

After I'm done with all the changes I'll update the article. I'm going include a parts list so everyone will know exactly what I used so as to increase their likelyness of creating a functional circuit on their own.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Michael Allen

The pots are 9mm Alpha pcb mount pots. They come in vertical pins, which I used, or horizontal mounting pins. Nice little pots!

markusw

Quote from: The Tone GodAfter I'm done with all the changes I'll update the article. I'm going include a parts list so everyone will know exactly what I used so as to increase their likelyness of creating a functional circuit on their own.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

:D Thanks for sharing your work!

Markus

The Tone God

Quote from: markusw:D Thanks for sharing your work!

:)

When I get the a nice noiseless filter circuit working I'll post a companion board for the VP. I also post updated VP boards including the 40106 board I've done.

Andrew

Brett Sinclair

Cool! I'm working on a Vanishing Point as well.
It is now hooked up with Tim Escobedo's Idiot Wah circuit, which works fine, but i'm going to switch (or make it switchable) to a tremolo sequencer using the Tremulus Lune circuit.
A Vanishing Idiot / Vanishing Moon hybrid...
:)

The Tone God

Quote from: Brett Sinclair...It is now hooked up with Tim Escobedo's Idiot Wah circuit, which works fine...

Cool. How is the noise/tick situation with the Idiot Wha ? I might throw one together just to see how well it plays with the VP.

Andrew

Brett Sinclair

Quote from: The Tone GodCool. How is the noise/tick situation with the Idiot Wha ? I might throw one together just to see how well it plays with the VP.
There is defenitely an amount of ticking which can be annoying (but in my case that actually becomes interesting with a lot of reverb and echo  :D )