Ceramic tile cutter for PCBs?

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), January 04, 2005, 07:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Will this  (or similar) ceramic tile cutter work for PCBs?

www.craintools.com/fs-more_pages/045_morefs.html

There is a sharp metal wheel (like on a glass cutter) that you pull over
the surface of the tile, making a cut on the surface.
Then you apply force, pushing the two sides down, while the scored line is above a support.
I suppose for a PCB you might have to take the scored board out & apply mor force over the edge of a table or something.. but it looks more fun that usign a hand scorer. Anybody tried one??

toneman

most pcb should B sheared.
tile "cutters"  only score the tile.
Then U have to "snap" it.
Actually, a 7in pwr saw with a 40tooth blade cuts pcb like butter.
Phenolic or glassepoxy.
More slowly, a sabre saw, a fine tooth blade *and* a straight edge
will do the same, but a little slower.
For small stuff, "tin snips' work fine.
I usually use a small Kepco shear.
staycut
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

cd

I use a photo mat cutter (like a big utility knife on rails) to cut mostly through, then snap the PCB and sand off the rough edges.  Cheesy, but good enough for me :)

bwanasonic

For the PCBs I get from Express PCB (FR-4 epoxy glass), the snapping thing doesn't work too well, as the *glass* fibers don't snap*. I use an Xacto razor saw or a utilty knife with a straightedge, which is a PITA (and creates TOXIC DUST- the BAD kind), so I would love tips on cutting that stuff. I haven't tried tin snips - maybe I'll try it on a piece of scrap.

Kerry M

*edit: I just found an old post from Paul Perry that mentions using a hand tile cutter to score FR4. I'll have to try that.

The Tone God

I don't think that will work that well. Tiles break cleanly. Tiles are not made of a fiber structure like most boards are. The copper layer would also be a hinderence to getting a clean cut since the scoring blade would probably not go through all the copper.

For large batches or boards I use a table saw or band saw with the appropriate blade. Otherwise I use tin snips. Good for perf as well.

Andrew

Roland

Flat blade tinner cutters are excellant for cutting boards and they even have a flat guide so the board sits flat. They litterly cut anything and they are available in all kinds of sizes.

here is a link with a pic

http://tools.a2z-automation.net/Product-962289_Irwin_Flat_Blade_Tinner_Cutter_B_in..html

bwanasonic

Just got out the tin snips - man I wish I'd tried that sooner! Works like a charm!

Thanks
Kerry M

gez

I've tried something similar to those Paul and the results weren't good.  If you score the copper side it gets ripped to shreds.  Even if you flip it you still have to snap the board and the break isn't clean.

I tried tin snips too.  Yes, they cut board easily but are only any use for small PCBs.  If you have to cut anything large the cut can't advance any further than the length of the blade.  

I just went out a bought a set of PCB shears in the end.  Wickedly expensive, but sooooo much easier!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Fret Wire

Haven't tried tin snips yet, I've been doing it with my dremel tool with the saw attachment. I've cut some really small boards with it and it works good. It has a kerf indicator so you can get see where you're cutting. You can also use hardwood stock clamped on your bench for a cutting guide.

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)