Torodial transformers - Voodoo Labs PSU

Started by John Egerton, January 04, 2005, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egerton

Hey guys.. I was wondering if you could give me more information on these transformers....

Apparantly the voodoo labs PSU uses one (or more)...

I was told that they can have a number of secondary winding outputs.

I'm getting into this as I've just made a pedal power supply inside a computer PSU box containing separate line6 transformers, digitech transformers, boss ones and a generic one for custom pedals... Also one for a fan.

As you can imagine its quite big and is a bit unsightly.

I don't mind buying a voodoo labs PSU if I only knew forr 100% that it would cater to my needs... I have more pedals than outputs ad th spec sheet says it delivers 80ma to all pedals..... But just one o my line 6's requires 1200ma!

Thanks

John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

Steve C

I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, What did you want to know about it?

niftydog

toroidal transformers can be configured in much the same way as regular (EI laminations) transformers. They are shaped like a donut and have numerous advantages over other transformers. (google around if you're interested, suffice to say they create less electromagnetic interference/noise)

QuoteI don't mind buying a voodoo labs PSU if I only knew forr 100% that it would cater to my needs... I have more pedals than outputs ad th spec sheet says it delivers 80ma to all pedals..... But just one o my line 6's requires 1200ma!

you have answered your own questions. The voodoo labs PSU is not going to be appropriate to power your line 6 devices. Nor does it have enough outputs to power all your other devices.

If you're really keen, see the famous Spyder!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Steve C

Quote from: niftydogThe voodoo labs PSU is not going to be appropriate to power your line 6 devices

Actually the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, has two 1200ma outputs specifically for the Line 6 pedals.  It also has four outputs that can be switched for pedals that use the Boss ACA adapter.  And two sag outputs.  If you only have one Line 6 pedal you can use a Daisy Chain on the other 1200ma for extra pedal outputs, just don't exceed the 1200ma's with the daisy chained pedals.