Z-Vex finish and shiny stomp buttons

Started by Mark Hammer, January 04, 2005, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

if the stereo tube hifi amp takes off (popular science wants to interview me!) then perhaps i'll hit that mark in 2005.  we'll see, i guess.  i know fuller passed it several years ago.

Paul Marossy

That's great Z.  :)
Fuller sells that much, huh? Wow.  :shock:

BTW, has this stereo hi-fi amp of yours been unveiled yet?  :wink:

zachary vex

nope.  finishing up the prototype to show off at NAMM.  it sounds great!  i got it up to 850 mW, and extended the low frequency response down to 40 Hz.  it's pretty darned flat from 100 to 20k, with a slight rolloff below 100.  distortion is pretty low too!  the power supply sags quite a bit so there's some squish to it, but that makes for nice processing on modern heavy music at moderately high volumes.  it's remarkably loud!  today i picked up the plastic pieces for the front and back of it but the holes were drilled incorrectly, otherwise i'd have a picture.  tomorrow, maybe, i can finish up the basic prototype assembly, and then next week i'll have the etched logo plexi front for it.  woohoo!  i think it might be kind of a hit at the show... the nano attracted a lot of attention a couple of years ago, and now this... i'm still working on a name.  what do you call a half-watt per channel tube amp that makes the perfect iPod accessory?  iMp?  8^)

zachary vex

aww, crap.  someone already has an amp called the imp.

on edit:  hey, it's not the name of the amp!  it's the name of the company, IMP systems, inc.  i bet there's no trademark violation if i simply call that model the Imp.  their company only makes stuff for in-building PA systems anyway!

mlabbee

iTube? iVac? I think, therefore I amp? :D

zachary vex

i considered all of those.  and even model z, model one, and 0.5X2.  even iValve.  i didn't consider i think therefore, but i did write down iAmp.  8^)

Paul Marossy

How 'bout iVex?!  :lol:

EDIT: I look forward to seeing your new creation.  8)

mlabbee

How about iVex?

Edited:  D'oh! Paul beat me to the punch.

The "I think therefore" could be a slogan on your marketing pieces.  Of course, you'll have to pay a royalty to Descartes . . . :twisted:

Kleber AG

or... 8)

IpAmp
IpoTubes
Ipodubes
HI-Podubes
I-FI
AMPEX
Zipod  :D
Zipodx
ZpodFi

:wink:
Kleber AG

Eric H

Whirlwind (IIRC) used to have a direct-box called the Imp.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Mark Hammer

The 2P, as in two peas in a pod.

The Zex Perplex as in "How the hell does he DO that?"

The Perfect Pair.

The Duo-Mite (with obligatory Myrold graphic of a dynamite fuse by the 'on' switch)

Hal

an imp.  Common fantisy creature.  Can they TM that, out of context?

Paul Marossy

RDV

How bout: "Say Hello To My Little Friend"!

RDV

zachary vex

i made a little more progress on it tonight.

Jehle

Ooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaaahh

You could easily sell those for $500 to $750 a pop! The design is gorgeous, the symetry, the exposed tubes and coils, perfect.  It looks... German.

When can I get one?  :D

Oh, and I vote for iAmp.

zachary vex

Quote from: JehleOoooooooh
Aaaaaaaaaahh

You could easily sell those for $500 to $750 a pop! The design is gorgeous, the symetry, the exposed tubes and coils, perfect.  It looks... German.

When can I get one?  :D

Oh, and I vote for iAmp.

oh, before i forget to mention it... design copyright 2005 zachary vex effects.  8^)

thanks!  that's the only one for now.  i imagine if i really rise to the occasion i could have them in production by may.  the transformers are prototypes and will take a couple of months to get a run made.  the plastic parts will take a month or more, and the circuit boards are not yet designed.  but the thing is essentially finished... it sounds as pretty as it looks!

Paul Marossy

Wow!  :shock:

Nice. I can imagine that the inside of that little 1590B is packed...

zachary vex

every cc has something going on.  the toroids (thanks for the tips, puretube 8^), the ungodly number of transformer wires, the connectors poking about... it's got a mother/daughterboard combination that basically fills it to the brim.

MartyMart

Nice work Zachary, though the pics seem to have gone ??   :wink:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com