kay tremolo mods. i have idea but don't know how to do it.

Started by mirza, January 05, 2005, 05:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirza

i've got this kay tremolo (from ggg)
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/kaytrpl.gif
and i want to add: 1. dry/wet mix pot
2. volume pot.
3. LED

what values of pots?
how do i wire it? i have major problems with wireing.
could someone draw it to mo please please please.
i'll pay him beer when in croatia.
it's working!

gez

It would help if you link to the schematic, not the layout...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Change the 47k pull-down resistor on the output to a 47k pot (one outer lug to the .22u cap and the other outer lug to ground) and attach the wiper to the output jack, this will give you your volume pot.

By LED, do you mean pulsating?  If not, then just wire up a millennium or use a 3PDT switch.

The input and output are out of phase, so any mixing would have to be done actively (would involve more circuitry).  It might be possible to wire up a depth pot though.  I’m wondering if connecting up a 1M pot in series between the junction of the two 100k resistors and the emitter of the PNP trannie might work?  Set the pot up so that it goes from max resistance to 0 ohms as you turn it?  Thoughts anyone?  

I'd have to muck about with it on a breadboard.  There’s probably an easier fix, but I’m pushed for time so can’t give it much thought.  Sorry.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

mirza

it's working!

gez

Quote from: mirzathnx 4 reply.
u had this in mind about volume pot?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/mirza00/kaytrpl.gif

Yeah, but I always get confused by those numbers on pots so I'm not sure whether it would be the right way round!  :)   Use some croc clips to check before you do the soldering.  Either that or could someone more familiar with the jargon check it?

I know how to wire them up, but the numbers are meaningless to me  :oops:

mirza

ok. thnx i'll try that.
and this depth knob will work? anyone?
it's working!

gez

Quote from: mirzaand this depth knob will work?

Probably, but I should think there'll always be some trem effect there (though it should reduce it).

If you lift the side of the 100k resistor (whose other end connects to the .01u cap) where it joins the .22u cap, you can croc clip the outer lug of a 1Meg pot to it and clip the middle lug to any component lead at that junction that will allow it.  The pot should decrease in resistance as it turns clockwise.  

If it works, solder it all up, if not then resolder the 'floating' end of the resistor.