ROG Matchbox: more gain?

Started by Rodgre, January 05, 2005, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I built up the Matchbox over the weekend.
(schematic here: http://runoffgroove.com/matchbox.html)

I love this box. It may not exactly match the larger than life tone of a real DC 30 (which I've compared it to) but it's one of the smoothest and sweetest overdrives I've heard. For what it does, I think it's even better than my Top Boost in a Can for harder drive Class A tones (I use the TBIAC just as a mild boost, as the gain gets too strident and grainy for me)

Now, I would LOVE to get another, say 20% of gain out of the Matchbox for a slightly heavier tone. Anyone have any idea how I could coax this out of the pedal?

Thanks in advance.

Runofgroove rules.
Roger  (ROG, as well :))

B Tremblay

Glad to hear that you're digging the circuit!

For more gain, you have a few options to try:

- You could reduce the Q1 source resistor value - try 680 ohms as a starting point

- Leave that resistor value the same, but put a 22uF cap in parallel with it

- Increase the input cap value

- Increase the 10n coupling cap between the Volume and Q2

I'd suggest trying the lower source resistance first.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Rodgre

Thank you!

I'll try that tonight. For those who haven't tried it yet, it's really a fantastic overdrive. Don't just think of it as a "simulation" of an amp. Try it anywhere you would try a TS style overdrive.

So far, I've spent most of my time with it through an AC30 and it's a perfect match for that amp (which can be picky about pedals)

The Fetzer Valve is also a sweet steroid boost for the Vox. It's like an SHO, but colored differently. It compresses more when you really dig into it.

Roger