Fuzz Face questions (JDF2 reissue)

Started by Joe Hart, January 05, 2005, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

One of those neat red reissue Fuzz Faces dropped into my lap the other day. And I have some questions. Isn't it supposed to sound good? Or did I just get one that maybe needs a little tweak? I haven't fooled around inside yet, so it could be mis-biased, but it has trimpots and I would guess that it was biased before it left the factory. Or should I just replace the transistors (Small Bear, of course) and re-bias it? Thanks!!
-Joe Hart

petemoore

I forget the topology of that particular FF, if it's Ge positive ground or Si transistor type.
 I like the FF enclosures look, never had one though, a bit big but look cool.
 THe first thing I'd do is check Q2's bias, should be about 1/2 battery or a little more 4.5 to 5.75...around that area from 9v battery, if not then readjust Q2's collector resistor, and see if biasing it makes it sound good.
 From the Factory a FF might not sound as good as after being tweeked/tuned to the rig that will use it.
 I'd suggest maybe to find the FF sound you want, building a board up, [because many FF variations can be tried on it] fully moddable like multi face with socketed transistors and caps, then try out your FF chops on that.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.