Silicon Fuzz questions

Started by robkeeler, January 05, 2005, 11:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robkeeler

I built a standard Silicon fuzz.  It works but has some interesting qualities.  If I put the fuzz all the way up I get a very high pitch.  It is not a gradual onset....it just comes on at very high settings.  Also if I turn my tone control on my guitar all the way off the sound actually gets brighter!  I know my guitar is wired up correctly. Is it just I have some funky transistors in my fuzz?  I used the bc108s from futurelec.

Thanks,
Rob Keeler
www.tremol-no.com
www.framus.com

petemoore

Or are you working on a Fuzz Face ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Quote from: robkeelerI built a standard Silicon fuzz.  It works but has some interesting qualities.  If I put the fuzz all the way up I get a very pitch.  It is not a gradual onset....it just comes on at very high settings.  Also if I turn my tone control on my guitar all the way off the sound actually gets brighter!  I know my guitar is wired up correctly. Is it just I have some funky transistors in my fuzz?  I used the bc108s from futurelec.
 Sorry, quoting the whole thing here, whoever didn't like it I tried highlighting and copy/pasting but lose the page when I do.
 Fuzz knob all the way up can make FF's do that. turn the knob down a touch, or add a small resistor like at the base of Q1 to ground to squelch it.
 Sounds like you're discovering the FF's guitar volume cleanup 'feature', the clean bright boost is what I get from FF's with guitar volume attenuation.
 Read GEO 'technology of the FuzzFace, different type and gain transistors will make the circuit sound different. I use sockets for them, that way I can swap them around and see what different types or the same types but different Hfe gain transistors sound like in the circuit.Thanks,
Rob Keeler
www.tremol-no.com
www.framus.com
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

robkeeler

Thanks for the advice.........I have never heard about a pedal making one's guitar tone control work in reverse though......I really do like the craziness of this thing though ....mwahaha

Nasse

You have found fuzz face magig mojo

OK maybe there is some pwm thing happening that causes "tone" effect, or resonant point just changes. I have noticed similar effect when putting more than one distortion in series
  • SUPPORTER