Seperated Power Supply

Started by H.Manback, January 06, 2005, 08:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H.Manback

I've been searching the net on building your own power supply, and I found the stabilizing circuits, seems pretty simple.

Now what I would like to know is how the heck do you make a seperated power supply??? What I want is a way to be able to connect something to 1 output of the supply, and connect something else on another output, and the pedals being seperated.

My use for this is connecting both negative and positive earth effects to one power supply.

It seems to me 1 guaranteed to work solution is making a completely seperate circuit for each, from transformator to stabilized output. But when I think about that solution, it seems a bit useless to me since I could just use seperate adapters.

My question is can it also be done using one transformator, and maybe building seperate rectifiers and stabilizers for each output?

ethrbunny

Maybe diff voltage regulators for each output? With matching caps for stability?
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

Jason Stout

It can be done with one transformer if the transformer has more than one secondary winding, and you use isolated dc jacks. With this approach you still need one diode bridge, filter cap and regulator per output.
Jason Stout

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

Great minds run in the same rut...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

H.Manback

Ok, just what I was afraid of then :cry:

It's pretty logical when you think of it, but I was hoping there was a way of achieving seperation without using seperate coils, but since you need galvanic separation, I guess there is no way around it...

Oh well, I'll check out if I feel like making a transformer with a couple of secondary taps :)