MobiusTrip (Loopy) Looper Layout Posted

Started by Dean Hazelwanter, January 06, 2005, 11:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Hazelwanter

JD has posted the schematics and layout at GGG under the old name 'Loopy' in the 'echo/modulation' category. I just tried to email him the updated files, but got an error message. I'll re-send them tomorrow from work. Any changes from what he's got posted are purely cosmetic anyway, aside from some build notes.

Enjoy! :)

EdJ

Dean Hazelwanter

NaBo

adding the parts for this one to the ol' STB (Sh-... Stuff To Buy :D) list... i've been waiting for it for a while actually.  the longest delay time i've ever played with is 2 seconds, and the infinite loop setting was way too sketchy to even attempt to use ("uh, no, i dont want you to loop 2 seconds of silence... no.  nonono.  why don't you understand when i want you to start!!!").  looking forward to trying it out...  hopefully i'll get to making it this summer!

primalphunk

Wooohooo!  I got my ISD1000A chips the other day and I ordered the rts pcb from GGG.  Yep...JD has pcbs for this now just in case you didn't know.  Anyone else gonna get started on this anytime soon?  It may be a few months until I do as I have too many irons in the fire already but I'm still getting my next mouser order ready and after that the small bear order(I didn't think my next order would be so soon).

This is gonna be cool, man...  8)

peace,
James

Ry

I've been trying to de-bug my breadboard build of it for the last week.  The record led comes on with no problem, but the on/off led doesn't
do anything.  I'm not using the 4001 chip (it's on order), but an old OR gate into an inverter.  Other than that, I haven't found a problem.  I've traced the signal into the ISD chip, but nothing comes out.

I'm sure it's something stupid.

Ry

Ry

I re-wired the circuit with a 4001 and went over my analog section and it's now working on my breadboard.  I have a few questions about the operation of it, though.

How does the loop work?  I've been having trouble getting it to do loops of anything less than 20 seconds.  When it does loop, it seems to play the sample, then immediately go back into recording the next one.

I thought I understood how the switches were supposed to work, but the record one doesn't seem to stop recording and start playing like I thought it would.

Ry

Dean Hazelwanter

Hi Ry...

Which chip were you using? If using the ISD1000A and my schematics and my layout, it will work like this:
- Switch 'Record/Play' (and 'Record/Safe' switch if used) switch to 'Record'. Switch 'Enable' switch to "Enable'. Device is now recording up to 20 seconds. 'Record' and 'On' LEDS should be on. Switch 'Enable' switch off and 'Record'/'Play' switch to 'Play. Switch 'Enable' switch on.  'On' LED should be on and Record LED should be off, and loop should play over and over and, ... well you get the idea. :wink:  The only gaps in sound should be any dead air recorded between switching and playing.

If you didn't use the ISD1000A and my schematics, your mileage may vary. :)

Ry

I am using the ISD1000A and your schematics on a breadboard.  I must still have something not connected correctly or wiggled loose (this is why I don't like breadboards).

I will re-seat the connections on the ISD chip tonight and see if it works any differently.

Let me just clarify that I need to switch the following things in this order to get the loop to play (after recording it):

1. 'Enable' switch to off
2. 'Record'/'Play' switch to 'Play'
3. 'Enable' switch to on

So the loop will end after the 'Enable' switch is turned off and that will determine the length of the sample?

Thanks for the reply!

Ry[/code]

ethrbunny

How different are the pins between the isd1000 and the 2560? Im hoping to debug my Gurutzeta build which uses the longer delay chip.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

mojotron

There is a conversion note that explains how to take a circuit originally designed for the ISD1000A parts and modify it to use the ISD1400 at
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder/applicationbriefs/

I have not looked too deeply into it, but it seems like a currently produced IC could be used. Has anyone looked into this?

mathflan

CAn you explain the wirings of the switch to the PCB board.
It's a little confusing.

SO I have to do a conversion to use the ISD2560, I didn't know..

Etherbunny, Me too I'am in the same problem, I want to build the mobius trip for debug my dirtysam  :D
-----------------------------------
http://sounddiy.free.fr

mathflan

SO I have compared the ISD 2560 and the ISD1000A, its lokk the same ..

just 2 differences:

1) A6 and A7 of the ISD 1000A are respectively pin 9 10
wheras A6 and A7 on the ISD2560 are respectively pin 7 8

2) pin 22 (NC) of the ISD 1000A is marked OVF on the ISD 2560
so we don't care of this for mobius loop.

I rectify the PCB for the ISD2560 so ISD some people want this. let me know...

maximee

Anybody know where to get a hold of the Winbond ISD1000A chip in Germany? Since it is discontinued I was not very lucky finding one over here...
Maybe somebody has one left over? :)

Dean Hazelwanter

Sorry that I can't be of any help with using different Looper chips with my original  Loopy/Mobius Trip design, or any other modifications on the original design, but my plate is kinda full at the moment...

puretube

maximee: Conrad got the 1400 or 1600 (???) series
(FAR OUT price!)

IIRC, they got an audible problem: they auto-switch-off power after "play", which can sound like on my sh*tty answerphone.

I stopped R&D with`em, after ZVEX introduced his "Junky"...

puretube

there was another, similar project by Ansil, a while ago:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=18262

www.conrad.de carries such a voice-module, too, IIRC.

mathflan

Hi Dean or other..

Just a question :

The pins 123 on the PCB of the PLAY and REC are connect to POTS or SWITCH???

Dean Hazelwanter

Hi...

The pins 1, 2 and 3 for the connectors labelled 'Dry', 'Rec' and 'Play' on the PCB correspond to pins 1, 2 and 3  for the 'Dry', 'Rec' and 'Play' pots on the schematic - analog section.

HTH! :)

mathflan