DOD Wah/Volume

Started by Paul Marossy, September 02, 2003, 01:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Anyone here ever own one of these? If so, how does it sound? Did you like it?

JasonG

I did for a month or so. If that says anything. I didnt like the sweep. It is an ok volume and expression pedal but as a wah it remided me of a bad Morley ( and I dont like Morleys much ). I hope that helps
                           Jason
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

Paul Marossy

I bought one of these off of ebay the other day. It doesn't sound too bad as a wah, just different. It's not a Vox type of sound, less warm sounding, more "sterile". In certain contexts it's useful.
But, I really like it as a volume pedal, it works very well with my setup. I like its compact size, too.
What's interesting about it, is that there is no pot or an optical circuit that I can see. It's a rather unique circuit, I'm not sure how it does what it does...  
Just FYI.

ErikMiller

I've had one for about 10 years. It's a fine volume pedal, and the pot-less design is surely quiet.

I used to use the wah part of it for one song live....as a wah it's adequate at best. If you want classic wah effects, I don't think it will do that. It just can't walkachicken like an old (or modded) Cry Baby. I recently obtained a Cry Baby for that reason.

It's got that neato control voltage output, too. Perhaps someday I will find a use for that feature.

Paul Marossy

Is it a vintage Cry Baby? What kind of mods have you done to a Cry Baby? I obtained the guts of a vintage Cry Baby recently, and wanted to put it into a new wah shell. But I have major hum problems! I've done everything I can think of and it still hums... ever have this experience?

ErikMiller

Check out this thread for my favorite wah mods:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=262&highlight=

The Clyde McCoy schematic is at:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/mckoy.html

Note that there are component values other than the ones in red that differ from the current shipping Cry Baby. I wasn't happy until I changed the resistor on the emitter of the 1st transistor and the one in parallel with the 4.7uF cap to match the McCoy.

As far as hum, I'd do the usual; look for lifted grounds, shorts, maybe a damaged inductor or transistor. I've read of putting ferrite beads on the input wires, but mine surely does not need that.