Switching Transistors

Started by Khas Evets, January 07, 2005, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khas Evets

Instead of socketing transistors, has anyone used a three pole double throw toggle switch to select between two transistors? Can this damage the transistor? Is noise an issue?

I'm thinking about doing this with Gus's NPN Boost, switching between a high gain 2N5089 and a lower gain 2N2222.

RickL

I've done that, sort of.

You can do it with just a dpdt, just switch the collectors and bases of the two transistors, leave the emitters connected.

I did it on a Fuzz Face using a 4pdt switch to switch both transistors from Ge to Si. It seemed to have worked okay without rebiasing, just lucky I guess. If I were to do it again I would use seperate dpdt switches for each transistor so I could have all four combinations of Si and Ge.

petemoore

Nurse Quacky's envelope control transistor would be a great candidate for this mod, 1 of the two choices socketed for further modability.
The transistor used in this position has quite a large efect on the envelope, and range of the sweep, all npn's I tried worked, wide range of differences of the sweep sound.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.