I hate to admit this but.................

Started by Burstbucker, January 07, 2005, 09:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

With all of the many great overdrive pedals that I own, Tonebone Classic, Barber Direct Drive, etc...

I think that I get my best overdrive tone using a Treble Booster pedal straight into my humble little Peavey Classic 50 410 combo's Overdrive chanel..........

Yeah, I know that Peavey gets slammed a lot but I don't think it's deserved IMHO.

So yeah, with all of the money that I've spent on overdrive pedals, I don't think that any of them surpase the Classic 50!  That leads me to believe that amp distortion mops up the floor with most overdrive stompboxes.  Anybody else agree?

But don't get me wrong I'm still a true blue pedal nut!!!

jimbob

Im doing the same sort of thing myself. Im finding all these other unexpected pedals sounding better w my gear than all the so called best more popular ones. BTW- anyone who slamms Peavey can eat a fat one. My tripple XXX rocks!!!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Branimir

after finishing my hi-octane and driving a 2x12" vintage 30s closed cab with it, i've stopped thinking about building distortion pedals  :shock:  :lol:

i have nothing against them, dunno, i just love the dynamics and the sound of my tube amp   :)
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

jimbob

QuoteSearching with my good eye closed

the great soundgarden
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

WGTP

I have a PV Bravo that is all tube and an old Special that is SS.  They both have better sounds than I have found elsewhere cheap, until I started building the distortions I learned about here anyway.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Connoisseur of Distortion

i have built 4 distortion pedals... and i still use my Digitech Metal Master. I really don't like the sound of tubes (not alot of drive, and harmonics fight you tooth and nail) and the pedals i made seem to lack alot of sustain i associate with hi-gain equipment. It really is a good pedal, all things considered.

bwanasonic

Quote from: BurstbuckerThat leads me to believe that amp distortion mops up the floor with most overdrive stompboxes.

As much as I am a  fan of simple boosts into tube amps, I can't go there with you on that sweeping generalization. It's a bit like saying trumpet is better than trombone. For what? Are you playing Texas Blues or Sonic Youth covers? Jazz Fusion or 60's Garage Pscyhedelic? Skynyrd tribute band or Swedish Death Metal?

Kerry M

Burstbucker

The way I have my amp set, I'm getting a tone that you could use in most rock covers.  Fairly high gain with a lot of harmonics thanks to the treble booster pedal, so I guess I have to give half the credit to the pedal.  

But perseption of tone is like hitting a moving target, it seems to change from day to day.  So I may singing a different tune next week!  8^)

MartyMart

It really depends on your type of music, if its full on "metal" with a marshall cranked and distorted to hell, then sticking a "TS" clone in front wont do anything at all !
If your amp is fairly "clean" or just on the edge for "Blues/Rock" then some stompers can help with tone/boost and also some solo "overdrive"

A friend of mine is in that exact position and has sold all his pedals, as they are no use to him in a "Goth Metal" band ! He has a couple of "silver jubilee" Marshall heads "cranked" and thats his sound.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

StephenGiles

In 1968 my lineup was mike preamp into Selmer selectortone & Ampeg amp of some sort. The mike preamp was there to overdrive the amps - so nothing new I'm afraid.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

wampcat1

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: BurstbuckerThat leads me to believe that amp distortion mops up the floor with most overdrive stompboxes.

As much as I am a  fan of simple boosts into tube amps, I can't go there with you on that sweeping generalization. It's a bit like saying trumpet is better than trombone. For what? Are you playing Texas Blues or Sonic Youth covers? Jazz Fusion or 60's Garage Pscyhedelic? Skynyrd tribute band or Swedish Death Metal?

Kerry M

eg--XACTLY!!  :lol:
Pedals DEFINATELY have their place, in some places a good ole' cranked tube amp can't be surpassed, in other circumstances, a good dirt pedal or two sounds and works best.

That said, I like 'em both. I use my amp's dirt channel when needed, and I'll also use (too many) dirt pedals when needed.

:)

Burstbucker

Oh, I still like my stompboxes sure enough but the other day I was comparing my overdrive pedals to the natural sound of my tube amp's overdrive and thought, gee the pedals do sound a little bit fake.  But the pedals do give a really cool sound none the less.  I'm not getting rid of them anytime soon.  

But I guess there's nothing more amp-like than an amp!    8^)

Cheers!

GreenEye

I've been thinking about this.  For me, it's not a question of what sounds the best believe it or not.  It's a matter of having a multitude of different sounds (which are endless).  Right now, I can get any sound out there - I've got a handful of tube amps and pedals for the vintage stuff and a Line 6 head for anything in between and beyond.  But I still build.  Each thing is a little different, and makes me write a little differently.  I made up a riff yesterday on the Hornet that I never would have made up with the Tube Reamer.  And I barely like my Hornet sound!

ragtime8922

I think that distortion pedals were made to emulate a cranked amp. The real thing is always better then an emulation. With that said it is my opinion that pedals are awesome when used to enhance a distorted tone or push an amp into overdrive but not for the full distorted sound. I don't think it's horrible by any means but just not the best IMO. However, the opinions about certain music types is correct. A death metal tone is sometimes hard to acheive (with certain amps) without getting serious feedback or mud, etc... My amp does it by itself though. It does all the tones I need. It can do the heaviest Metallica tones with the gain at 12:00!!! No joke. I only go as far as 2:00 for crazy leads. BTW, it's an ENGL Powerball.

As for Peavey. There may have been a time that Peavey could have received abuse but that time is FAR gone. I have incredible respect for that company. I owned an Ultra Plus head before getting my Powerball and I loved it. I also love the XXX and 5150. The tones and the prices are unbeatable. I havent tried the JSX but it's great to see such a selection. Also, that new guitar of theres looks awesome as well.

dave h.

Quote from: BurstbuckerWith all of the many great overdrive pedals that I own, Tonebone Classic, Barber Direct Drive, etc...

I think that I get my best overdrive tone using a Treble Booster pedal straight into my humble little Peavey Classic 50 410 combo's Overdrive chanel..........

Yeah, I know that Peavey gets slammed a lot but I don't think it's deserved IMHO.

So yeah, with all of the money that I've spent on overdrive pedals, I don't think that any of them surpase the Classic 50!  That leads me to believe that amp distortion mops up the floor with most overdrive stompboxes.  Anybody else agree?

But don't get me wrong I'm still a true blue pedal nut!!!

man....

i borrowed my friends classic 30 one time, hooked it up to my pedalboard...

its just so small, tweed-covered and unassuming. i didnt expect it to kick half as much ass as it did.

unfortunately, i dont have the pocketbook for a multi-amp setup right now.
ive been eyeing them on ebay ever since, i just spend money on other, more important things first.

theplastictoy

Quote from: Burstbucker

Right now i'm using an MXR MicroAmp to drive a VOX AC30 and a Peavey Classic 30. It sounds beautiful! Much better than all overdrives and pedals i've owned. I'm still a noise freak, so the Big Muff is always nearby, just in case.

BTW, I use the classic 30 on the overdrive channel, also. It has a truly beautiful sound.