Sustain killer possible?

Started by JimRayden, January 08, 2005, 10:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khas Evets

Wouldn't a compressor mixed out of phase with the orginal signal acheive this effect?

bwanasonic

I think a mechanical approach would get a lot closer to what you are describing than any electronic/stompbox approach. Maybe even as mechanical as switching guitars!  :D  Actually, some sort of mechanical muting would do this quite well, and was often built into guitars in the era of music you are trying to capture, in the form of a foam mute mentioned in an earlier post. Some sort of short hard reverb/delay can help too. If I set the regeneration high and the delay time short on my analog delay, I can get a great *blues in the bathtub* kind of sound. If you have never tried it, experiment with alligator clips on the strings, clipped close to the bridge. As you move them further from the bridge you can get some wacked out gong/ ring mod sounds as well.

Kerry M

JimRayden

Changing guitars - too expensive for me. Mechanical - cool but still a bit too slow to use in the middle of a song. Though I might concider that too. Anyone have any pics of some of the mechanical muting devices?

I think I'll do the flatline and mod it.

--------------
Jimbo

Nasse

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Nasse/damper_off.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Nasse/damper_on.jpg

8) Very easy and quick to use, just pull and push...

Not enough space under strings of many guitar types without routing or other modifications

EDIT If you google jaguar+mute you can see pics of Fender unit, sold as spare part, Jaguar fan pages have some explanation but not much info how it really works

How about very short scale Rickenbacker guitar, Pyramid flatwound thick strings and Vox AC-30 amplifier?
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

Quote from: JimRaydenChanging guitars - too expensive for me. Mechanical - cool but still a bit too slow to use in the middle of a song. Though I might concider that too. Anyone have any pics of some of the mechanical muting devices?
 >>..No but I've seen just a 'see saw' type lever system that brings up a radiused [like fretboard curve] pad on metal, right next to the bridge...once up, it'll quickly mute anytstring you attack...without delay it'll start muting any vibrating string.
 >>>So I don't really understand "a bit too slow to use in the middle of a song'.
I think I'll do the flatline and mod it.

--------------
Jimbo
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JimRayden

Never saw any of those, so I didn't know they came with a lever system.

The pics of the jag were pretty explaining.

I'm trying to get along without routing the body of my guitar though. Anyone know how radical the effect of the expander is?

------------
Jimbo