Tim Escobedo's Gargler

Started by JimRayden, January 08, 2005, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

Could someome explain me what it does and how is it controlled?

As far as I understand, it produces some cool wovel sounds with an envelope control. Is that so? Have anyone built it?

------------
Jimbo

sir_modulus

Hilo!

Well the Gargler is a twin envelope filter. A single envelop filter is a filter that moves either up or down depending on the "envelope" of the guitar signal....the volume.. So, when you play a note, the filter will make the attack ound like WAAAAAA as it goes up, and it'll come down like AAAAAWWWWWWWW, as the note decays. Now the concept is that, like a wah pedal, a single envelope filter imitates only half a human voice....(one formant...read Geofex article on human voices and wah pedals..). So therefore, adding another formant would give it a more vowel like sound...the E.H. bassballs tries to do this, and the E.H. Talking pedal does this. In fact, if you noticed the newest addition to Tim's site, the gargletron, it's like the gargler, except it uses a single pot...and can be put in say a wah pedal shell....

Remeber one thing though, as it says on tims site....the gargler did not satisfy him...therefore meaing, it may not do exactly as it says..

Hope that helps,

Nish[/quote]

JimRayden

If I get it right the wah pedal goes only from "w" to "ah" and the gargeltron goes all around the wovel spectrum with a turn of a pot.

Am I also right that gargler is simply the same thing but has an envelope control instead of the pot (and has the switch too).

Hmm... as far as I understand Garglers circuit, it should logically still go from one sound to another. How does it give all these wovels? Gives different wovels at different picking volumes?

--------------
Jimbo