Wah Pot Questions

Started by zombiwoof, January 09, 2005, 09:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

1.  Someone mentioned a "new ICAR pot", what is the info on this?

2.  Has anyone had good luck with the ProPot?  I've tried the Fulltone and don't like it, at this point I'm going back to the HotPotz I if I don't hear of something better.

3.  What the heck is the pot in the new Vox Clyde McCoy, I haven't seen one but they claim that it has a "new custom taper pot" in it.  Is this B.S.?

I'm modding a Vox 847 to Clyde specs and I just tossed a Fulltone that basically fell apart, not going back there.

Thanks for all responses!

Al

Fret Wire

I haven't tried the Pro Pot or heard enough feed-back about them to form an opinion.

Basically, your choices are the HotPotz I or HotPotz II, and the Pro Pot. BG Micro is selling the Hotpotz II for 6.95. As far as the New Clyde having a different taper pot, I haven't seen one. If Dunlop, or anyone else orders the minimum quantity, a company will manufacture pots in whatever taper you want. If Dunlop had a run of nice Icar type taper pots made for them, hopefully they had to order more than they needed. Then we can buy them separately.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zombiwoof

Here's a link to the pictures of the insides of a Crybaby Classic, which shows the pot that a member said looked like "the new ICAR pot".  I'd like to find out about this pot.

Al

zombiwoof

Fret Wire

I lightened the photo a little. I recently saw a wah pot similar to this. It wasn't permanently sealed, but had a black rubber cap over the back to seal it. Just like the rubber endcaps you might see on the bottom of metal table legs. This looks the same. If you look at the way the top plate attaches, it's like a standard pot. The photo doesn't have good enough resolution to tell if that's rubber or plastic. It would be cheaper to use standard construction and seal it with a cap. Of course, how many rotation cycles it's good for is another story.

I wish I could remember where I saw the rubber-cap sealed wah pot.  :?:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zombiwoof

I think the Pro Pot is supposed to have a black rubber back on it, but I thought the Crybaby in this photo was supposed to be stock, maybe I misunderstood. Oh well!

Al

zombiwoof

I know a couple of guys here have the Vox Clyde reissue, can't anybody tell me what pot they're using in it?

Al

Fret Wire

This is the 200k Pro Pot. They do look similar. It could be the same pot. Maybe someone will have the answer.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zombiwoof

Yeah, I also found a picture of the Pro Pot on the Guitar Player pages, they had a review of it and I realized that it is the one in the picture of the Crybaby Classic.  The review said that he replaced a stock (Dunlop HotPotz I) pot in a V847 reissue with the Pro Pot, and that it sounded good but had less of a "vocal" sound, meaning that the Pro Pot had a smoother transition from low to high.  However, I think that his Vox was unmodded, and with the mods back to Clyde specs that I've done (which include changing the 33k to 100k for a more "vocal" sound), it might be just the ticket.  I think I'm going to try one, I know Small Bear has them for $25, the same as I can get a HotPotz I for.  Someone on these boards said that he bought two of them and both had problems, but I figure Steve will replace it if I get a bad one.

I'd still like to know what pot is in the Vox Clyde reissue, if anyone can tell me!  I might have to go to a store and pop one open, if I can't find out.

Al

sir_modulus

YES!!! That's the cursed pot!!!
( :D  j/k)

Now in reference to the above post...I have nothing against NWA's Pro Pots. I just got one, that had the lugs melt off...(I didn't apply that much pressure, but the lugs got loose, and when trying to straighten them, they came off. This is why I like the turrets on the Hot Potz.). I also found the Pro Pot to be the most versitile of all the pots I've tried....It's seems to work decent in most wah circuits as it's taper is between the Fulltone, and that of the Hot Potz.

Nish

zombiwoof

Wow, thanks for the info, if I get one I'll be careful with my soldering technique!  The Fulltone I had just came apart, I had to crank down the nut holding it because it was loosening up, and the case came apart.  Cheap construction, it looks like an Alpha or something.  I keep hoping someone will come up with a good taper pot that is constructed as well as the HotPotz I, is that too much to ask!!!

I appreciate all the responses.

Al

sir_modulus

What's wrong with the Hot Potz 2? Do you not like the taper? (I have a crybaby, and found that to sound real good...and BGMicro has them on sale at like around $5.00 so...why not?

Just Curious...

Nish

zombiwoof

You know, I've never tried the HotPotz II, I hear it's the same taper as the Hotpotz I, and since BG has it so cheap, I'll probably get a couple to check out.  I need some transistors anyway, I was already contemplating an order there.  The thing is, I'm putting my V847 back to Clyde specs, and most people say that the HotPotz don't have the original ICAR taper, that's why I've been trying other pots.  I wish Teese would let up on his refusal to sell his pot, I think if he were to just restrict the amount he sells to individuals it would keep other manufacturers from using them in their products.  I'd love to get a Picture Wah, but I just can't swing the big bucks at this time, so I've got to mod what I've got (although that is fun, too!).

Al

sir_modulus

hmm....now this is a humdinger....

I had a Vox wah..(see my much previous thread...), and didn't find the throw of the pedal, and the taper of the pot to match...

For a Clyde, I found the best SOUNDING ones to be the fulltone, and the propot....but in regards to construction.....the Hot Potz II beat them out...badly. You can see physically that it's built better, and it has a lube built into the pot, to keep things nice and smooth...plus no dirt can really get it...It's sealed all round. It also has those neat turret lugs.

So I can see your in a hard situation...sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Nish

Fret Wire

All I can add to the above is the HotPotz II's that I've measured had basically the same taper as the HPI's, the HP-I runs between 115-120k, and HP-II runs about 95-100k. So, like Nish said, go to BG micro and get some II's. Yeah, the solder posts are a little different the first time, but no big deal.
http://www.bgmicro.com/bgmicro_ad.asp

As far as the Clyde mod goes, use the Clyde values, and record your pot settings. Then don't be afraid to adjust the original Clyde values up or down, and re-adjust the pot to zero in on the clyde sound. For example, the HP has a more abrupt taper than the Icar types, so you may find the 100k "vocal mod" too extreme, and have to back it off 10-20k. Just be willing to fine tune a little, if necessary.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zombiwoof

Thanks for the tips.  Can't beat the price on the HP II, so I'll get a couple, still would like to try the ProPot to compare, though.

Al

Fret Wire

You're welcome. :)  Another source of wah parts is Antique Electronics. Go to their site and type "wah" in the search field.
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

I've never tried the Life Pot. I'd like to hear more feed back on it. Not enough time lately to do everything. :(
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

analog kid

I too wondered about the ICAR taper pot used in the /V848 mccoy That is until I saw some pics of the inside of one. See I got lucky enough to come across someone who was able to get the Replacement (for repairs) Pot used in the pedal which is NOT ALLOWED to be sold as an individual drop in replacement part in all other circumstances!  I did however question whether it WAS the pot used in the McCoy having not owned one or been able to view one As  Well as whether it really was made to the ICAR taper(this is harder to prove still) But after seeing the pics of someone's new V848 here THAT IS IT!)  I have heard people saying that THAT is the same pot in there Crybaby, ETC.. but they don't realize I guess that the case ,or physical appearance of the pot can be the same and the pot made to many different tapers, or resistance values! So if the manufacturer is truthful this pot IS made to the ICAR taper as the Clydes of old . Mine did however rate slightly lower than most 100k Wah pots. Testing out at 85k! I wondered if , like pots used for volume and tone, this would work the same giving less highs with a lower value and more with a higher? I don't know since the wah pot is so different acting as a Voltage Divider and essentially working as a "Variable Capacitor" I guess? ?
Anyway I'd give the name of the supplier out if the guy would say it's alright.  I'll have to check with him on that if he wants to sell these to very many people.  I DO know it's not the cheesey sounding and NOT SO well built pot that people have said the McCoy has ( and the same one in their Crybabys have !! Don't think so) Though it is NOT a fully closed casing the Rubber cap helps protect that. It pretty much looks like and is built just like the Stock American STRAT pots that CRS ,(I believe that's it) make!! with the very cylindrical shaped body and the post that turns through the back of the body of the pot. If you 've seen them you know what it looks like w/o the cap on.  I have never seen a Wah Pot with that style casing before this one.!
Hope this helps(I could try to take a pic without the cap on the pot) :lol:
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..