SWITCHFOOT

Started by WGTP, January 11, 2005, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

Looks like some of our fellow stompers got themselves a band.   :lol:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

petemoore

I think this is one of those MTV 'battlebands'...IIRC
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

truce11

This doesn't make any sense.   Do they post here?

guitarhacknoise

It could be that the name comes from a skateboarding term used to describe the technique of riding with your left foot forward.
-matthias
"It'll never work."

David

I did a Google search on them.  "Switchfoot" is a surfing term.

WGTP

I thought it meant the foot you hit the stompbox with.    :shock:

Actually my son prefer's that skateboarding technique.   :lol:

jayp5150

Quote from: guitarhacknoiseIt could be that the name comes from a skateboarding term used to describe the technique of riding with your left foot forward.
-matthias

I always thought left foot forward was normal, and right forward was switch.  I guess it's what you're comfy with.

A stompbox related band could be called the Tapdancers.

OK, I stole that from an old Sony add (for an early 90's multi-processor), that asked if you were a tapdancer or a guitar player.  My buddy and I were like "we're tapdancers!"

jazzyfingers04

If I may jump in, switchfoot is merely the opposite foot forward, compared to how a person normally rides. Thus, for righties, it is left foot forward, and for lefties, right foot forward. This was also known as goofy foot for a short time early in surf history.

As far as the band goes, they are pretty cool. They are a pretty hard rocking Christian group, started about 8 years ago.

-Sean

jayp5150

Quote from: jazzyfingers04If I may jump in, switchfoot is merely the opposite foot forward, compared to how a person normally rides.

That's what I meant to say, I got jumbled.  My bad.

puretube

this is discriminating me (being a "lefty")... :twisted:  :x  :shock:

:lol:

WGTP

So they put stompboxes in their skateboards   :?

David

Quote from: puretubethis is discriminating me (being a "lefty")... :twisted:  :x  :shock:
:lol:

So do you play a lefty guitar or do you play like Hendrix?  My mother swears up and down that I was a lefty until I went to the local Catholic school.  Her contention is that I got "converted" to rightie there.  I've thought a lot about what it would be like having your dominant hand do the fingering instead of the picking...

Jason Stout

We called it "goofyfoot" or "switch stance"  :)
Jason Stout

puretube

I solder left...

they tried to convert me, but didn`t quite succeed;

I write left...

but play "normal" guitar, "normal" way - except that my right hand acts
like a "normal" pianoplayer does with his left: rhythm.
:?

Johnny G

with skating its just called switch when you ride with your feet the opposite way round and its normally just done to make the tricks harder to do and therefore more of a challenge. its not the same as riding backwards which is a different beast entirelly.

ill now climb back into my little world and continue being the closet skater lol

as for the band ive only heard one song (the one of the spiderman 2 soundtrack) and they have my vote. i dont dig christian rock bands but these guys really puill it off so i cant knock it
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

guitarhacknoise

Quote from: jayp5150
Quote from: guitarhacknoiseIt could be that the name comes from a skateboarding term used to describe the technique of riding with your left foot forward.
-matthias

I always thought left foot forward was normal, and right forward was switch.  I guess it's what you're comfy with.

Ah............ :oops:  I ment the other left. Yeah, the other
"It'll never work."

runmikeyrun

you guys should have asked me, i'm the one who runs a skate park!

Most of those posts are correct, even if a little confusing.  Skating "regular" is with your left foot forward.  Skating "goofy" is with your right foot forward.  Switch is skating with your other foot forward in respect to the way you normally skate... which is like learning to skate all over again.  And to really confuse you there is "fakie" which is skating backwards  :P

What a rough job... posting on the board and eating pizza...  oh yeah and i can skate for free any time i want  :D only problem is dealing with the bastard kids... grrr

As long as we're on the topic... which foot do you switch with?  I prefer the right foot.  

I also write lefty but play guitar righty.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

bigjonny

I actually went to college with one or two of those guys (the lead guy, Jon, maybe the bassist, too).  I didn't know him (them) directly, but had friends who were  friends w/ Jon.  One of their first fan bases was at UCSD, so even though I have no great interest in their music (I have to admit their hit, "We were meant to live" has some pretty nice riffing happening, though), I've known about them for eight years.  So, this was well before I was building switches at my feet, so it never struck me as odd.

Yes, "switchfoot" is surfing term, here.  "Goofy foot" is used to descibe the same thing a là skateboarding.  At least, that's how we described it in SD when I was growing up.

puretube

I wah right,

but am quite good with left, too