Tell me about the Jen HF Modulator

Started by PB Wilson, January 11, 2005, 04:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Wilson

So I was searching around for a new effect project and came across the Jen HF Modulator at GGG. It looks relatively easy to build up and I think I have all of the parts at hand. The problem is, I don't know just what it sounds like. I did some searching here and elsewhere, but I can't find much info on this pedal and the sound clip at Tonefrenzy doesn't work.

Anyone who has built one up want to tell me what kind of a beast this is? GGG lists it under "filters." Tonefrenzy has it filed under "distortion/fuzz" and others describe a relation to ring mods. Any help???

ryanscissorhands

Funny that you mention that. I bumped into the guy who did the GGG layout just a few hours ago--the layout was done by Dean Hazelwanter, maybe he can help.

puretube

IIRC, there was a thread, about a year ago, which found out, that there were some mistakes in the schem which had been floating thru the web for years...

that GGG schem is probably an updated corrected one.

Paul Marossy

I also remember that thread. I believe that the GGG schematic is correct.

RickL

It's a ring modulator type sound. I'm just in the process of boxing the one I built years ago and could never get to work. The corrections to the schematic that came out this year finally let me get it working. Give me a couple of minutes to listen to it again and I'll repost with a slightly more detailed review.

edit: Okay, I'm back. It sounds to me like a tremolo with the speed turned up very high. The intensity control gets down to no effect by about 3/4 of the way down. The tone control seems to also act as a bit of a volume control, but that may just be because it rolls off the highs fairly severely. There seems to be little or no 'carrier' bleedthrough which makes some sense if it's just a tremolo with a very fast LFO. The dry sound seems to come through better than some ring mods, you can actually tell what note you're playing.

I don't think I'd put this one on the top of my list to build, although it was nice to get it working. It's the first perf project I every built and compared to the stuff I build now it's a real rat's nest.

jrc4558

I'll say one thing: It sounds UGLY. IN A VERY GOOD WAY!!!

PB Wilson

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll give it a try on breadboard. I can always use a bit of craziness alongside my Scrambler, UglyFace and Great Cheddar! :twisted:

RickL- Thanks especially for the detailed sound info. I appreciate it.