UK supplier has EQ chips!

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), January 12, 2005, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.dalbani.co.uk/index.php
looks to be a useful source for European parts (and Japanese parts that never made it to USA).
For example, they have two 5 channel EQ chips (just add caps to set freqency bands, and pots) LA3600 and BA3822LS
I don't know whether they are related to the USA company of the same name, but in any case the US company doesn't list these chips. :x
Like the US company, they are targeted toward repair shops, prices are all over the place, sometinmes good, sometimes not, but well worth checking for 'weird shit'...
If anyone has dealt with them, please let us know how you got on.

bwanasonic

Among other things, this might be cool paired up with a ROG Uno for a Boogie style 5 band EQ...

Kerry M

Ge_Whiz

As I am sure I have previously mentioned, Rapid Electronics in the UK has had the LA3607 7-band graphic equaliser chip in their catalogue for a few years now. Approx. £1.20 each.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Well, Ge-Whiz, you can save a few cents by going to Dalbani, then.. they have them as well. :D

Jason Stout

Can anyone point me to a datasheet for these chips?
Jason Stout

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Jason StoutCan anyone point me to a datasheet for these chips?
www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2&searchstring=la3600.pdf
google is your friend

Jason Stout

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Quote from: Jason StoutCan anyone point me to a datasheet for these chips?
www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2&searchstring=la3600.pdf
google is your friend

Thanks Paul. :)
Jason Stout

Nasse

http://www.spelektroniikka.fi/audiokytkis.htm

Noticed some audio circuits with pcb pattern, at least one is for LA3600 and few others are for chips which I did not check but I would not be surprised if they are on the catalogue

Nice collection of datasheets http://www.spelektroniikka.fi/speksit.htm
  • SUPPORTER

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

Khas Evets

Has anyone used these? How do they sound?

Khas Evets

Has anyone used these? How do they sound?

Ge_Whiz

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Well, Ge-Whiz, you can save a few cents by going to Dalbani, then.. they have them as well. :D

Thanks Paul, but actually they're nearly the same price - the Dalbani price excludes tax at 17.5% (thank you British Government).

The LA3607 sounds fine.

[Edit: Hmmm, actually Dalbani/Nikko are only a few miles away from my place of work, which could be useful (although I don't think they have a shop).]

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That's a great Finnish link, Nasse! wish we saw more links from 'other countries', got to be some good stuff out there.

gazza

Any of you actually built a pedal using these ?

I've decide that my next two projects will be a mosfet boost and an equaliser,  so I'd be very interested in any experiences people have of using dedicated chips.  

cheers,

Gareth.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

R.G.

The LA3600 looks like the same pinout as the KA2223. It's certainly the same function if all pins don't match one-for-one.

What's possibly interesting about that is that there is a PCB layout for a seven band EQ done with the KA2223 *and* one done with a dual opamp and seven transistors. The two circuits are exactly equivalent function, but with the opamp and transistors you don't have to find a special chip to buy. So you can make a seven-band EQ from a dual opamp chip and seven NPN transistors.  The schematic is the same function if not the same exact parts as the application circuit of the LA3600.

The two layouts are done for seven trimmer pots on the board. This was intended to be a tuck-in-the-box hidden EQ for customizing distortion pedals. Of course, all you have to do is mount slide pots to the box and run wires to get a true graphic setup. Or the PCB could be reworked into a version with the pots on the PCB.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Here's the link for RG's article:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/EQs/paramet.htm

How embarassing.. I've posted SIX years late :oops: