"Dyna Comp" build and many pics !

Started by MartyMart, January 13, 2005, 08:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Hi, I decided to build an "MXR Dyna Comp" as my first compressor, from the "tonepad" site.
"Torchy" has done a fantastic job on a "vero-board" layout, which he very kindly offered to do for this project, he'll be posting it up soon, thanks a million for that  :D
I've done a kind of "photo essay" of the build, so go to the link and click on the "next" text, to go through the pics.
There are lots of board pics ( top and bottom ) and some of the various painting stages/finished enclosure.
Please Ignore the early "3904 tranny" arrangement as I had them all reversed !! Duh !
I decided to "rip off" the "script" logo and use battery only with a DPDT footswitch, just for authenticity :-)
A word of warning, the hammond 1590B is too small, so I recommend either a larger or deeper enclosure, that allows you to put the jack sockets at the top edge.
I've just squeezed it in, but have had to remove the transistor sockets and "lay down" several caps plus use a horizontal trimmer !!
I hope the pictures are useful to some, I know there's a lot but it may help with the build/ be interesting.
The enclosure was first rubbed down with wire wool, including the bottom plate, metal/aluminium under coated, then three coats of deep red enamel paint.
This was baked for half an hour at 150 deg ( gas mark4! )
Then the "water slide decal" was added as one piece ( thats when i got some bubbling darn it ! )
Finally three coats of lacquer to finish.
After a few minutes of "grounding" problems and a pot "miswire" ( me being thick again ) it fired right up !
Great sounding compressor, my only subs being a 4k7 trim pot as I didn't have a 2k, some paralelled caps to make up the right value and a 100k volume pot, which seems to offer a nice bit of boost !

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/38598722

Enjoy,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

samzeppelin

page rules

petemoore

Nice essay Marty Mart !
 I see you found the drill to be a nice 'trace cutter. Makes sense, as it would be easily controllable.
 Nice job with the Cloning of the Logo !
 Classy Build !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

NIce. I see you got some of those darned lacquer bubbles.  :x

MartyMart

After playing with the new "Dyna" for a while I realized that it lost some "bottom end",  mids are fine and there is a "top end" sparkle when its in circuit.
Changed the input cap from .01uf to a .1uf ( 100nf ) now the bottom end is back.
Great little compressor, not as exciting as an OD or Trem etc, but very useful infront of my "Odie"  !!  :wink:

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

lightningfingers

Cool! where did you get the waterslide decals from?
U N D E F I N E D

MartyMart

The water slide decals were from.    www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk

£10 for ten !  but thats a lot of boxes !

Marty.

swangor

Hello Marty,

Nice work on the Dyna Comp.

I've been away for a bit, but am glad to see this place alive and kicking.

I noticed your use of strip board on the project.  I think I'll have to use some on my next project.  It looks real easy to use and a lot less time intensive than straigth perfboarding.

How variable is the Dynacomp's compression?  Does it noticibly thin out the sound with little compression or do you have to crank the compression up a bit before you notice it?

I've been wanting to build a compressor and this one looks right up my alley.

Thanks,
Rob S.

MartyMart

Quote from: swangorHello Marty,

Nice work on the Dyna Comp.

I've been away for a bit, but am glad to see this place alive and kicking.

I noticed your use of strip board on the project.  I think I'll have to use some on my next project.  It looks real easy to use and a lot less time intensive than straigth perfboarding.

How variable is the Dynacomp's compression?  Does it noticibly thin out the sound with little compression or do you have to crank the compression up a bit before you notice it?

I've been wanting to build a compressor and this one looks right up my alley.

Thanks,
Rob S.

Hi Rob,
Its got a good range from "Off" at zero pot travel to "nice squashed sustain" at 1-o'clock pot travel.
Its nice and subtle below that and the 100k vol pot does offer a bit of "boost", enough to start crunching my tube amp !
I realy like it to even out chords and provide sustain, very much recommended, though "compression" is not everyone's cup of tea !

Regards,
Marty. 8)

Ge_Whiz

Nice one, Marty and Torchy. As a veroboard enthusiast with a yearning for a compressor, this is a project for me. Thanks!

StephenGiles

Marty - great stuff, good to see you are with the Veroboard 'big boys'!

Torchy - ADA flanger??????????
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Things to come perhaps, but this is in a 5 knob EH case, veroboard size is 5 1/2" by 4", so doable. It'll take me a while to do a rough layout plan if you think it's worth it.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

........and I break all the rules!
Stephen

StephenGiles

Marty, out of interest how do you wire up pots to your veroboard? Do you fix the pots direct to the board or attach leads from the board to the pots? The reason I ask is that not all pot pins will go through veroboard holes.
Stephen

MartyMart

Quote from: StephenGilesMarty, out of interest how do you wire up pots to your veroboard? Do you fix the pots direct to the board or attach leads from the board to the pots? The reason I ask is that not all pot pins will go through veroboard holes.
Stephen

I've never used the "pins" I just poke the end of the component/jumper through the vero-board and make a small "loop" then solder the wire to off board pots directly but try to poke the wire through the board and solder on the other side, if you get my drift !
I'll try to do some projects with the pots wired directly on the vero-board next, much neater !

Marty.

swangor

Hello Marty

Quote from: MartyMartIts got a good range from "Off" at zero pot travel to "nice squashed sustain" at 1-o'clock pot travel.
Its nice and subtle below that and the 100k vol pot does offer a bit of "boost", enough to start crunching my tube amp !
I realy like it to even out chords and provide sustain, very much recommended, though "compression" is not everyone's cup of tea !

Thanks for the info.  I definately will keep the Dynacomp on my short list.

Thanks,
Rob S.