introducing my first design: the Fuzz Fazze...

Started by hair force one, January 13, 2005, 03:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

HI, proud to announce that i'm the father of a little circuit creature! Check the baby's face, it's ugly...
-> http://partouze.chez.tiscali.fr/stomp/introbox.htm#
click the fuzz fazz button on top right for reports and a few bad quality mp3s (you'll here me awful 2-fingers-guitarplaying-technique too)!

Peter Snowberg

I LOVE IT!!! 8) 8) 8)

I did psychedelic lightshows for many years and we used wheels that rotated in front of the projectors to provide flashing and rippling effects of the images. :D

You could expand on this effect  by using multiple "tracks" on the disc and multiple LDRs to change feedabck in different parts of the circuit(!).

You are very correct.... you cannot get more analog than that! 8) :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bioroids

Very great!

I really like the way you lay out the graphics on your page also, very cool!

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

petemoore

Not a bad idea...hey !!! Glad you like it !  :lol:  8)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

Fhantastic idea.  Unbelievably cool. 8)  8)  8)
keep up the good work!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

squidsquad

Cool idea!  Just wondering...is the motor that spins the disk variable RMP?
I imagine with one...you could go from super slow to ridiculously fast .

petemoore

Quote from: petemooreNot a bad idea...hey !!!  :lol:  8)
I typed here a while back about building a trem/phase using this concept, I'd never seen anything like it before, [I guess that means I gave up any claims to concieving it ...lol. ...Congratulations !!!...One doesn't get much recognition out of a concept... :cry:
 I couldn't get the LDR/LEDs even to do what I wanted...probably not the right ones etc. Kinda gave up on even messing with photocontrol except Vibes and phazers.
 Cool to see youv'e done all the work to get a working model.. Amazing!! Sincere Congratulations!  8)  I'd bet you had to go to great lengths to figure everything out with the electromechanical and electronics ...  :D
  I'll get one of those going maybe one of these days...lol. Doubtful.
  For the record...Who cares who thought of it, or I don't, Building the first one is the Crowning achievement!!! I just never heard of one, had asked a while back if anyone had, Typed all about disc shapes, speeds, using a motor or foot 'revving' speed control...no-one seemed interested at the time...too much work for me.
 I got a littel excited there, want to be honest...the reason I typed that anyway, is so someone would use it, I want no discussion about dates who and when, just that I'd been thinking about that idea, and members feelings about recognition and all that. I'ts perfectly possible it occured to you as it had occured to me when I was only typing about it. perhaps I was out of line, I assumed you may have been around at that time. Now all that's out there ... let's just say I'd been thinking about that.  :oops:
 Hat's off to You Hair Force One !!!
 Site Looks Cool !!!!
 The difficulty of designing a working model, including the electromechanicals, photoresistor, and other wiring, figuring out how to get the disc and ...everything... to do what you want it to...truly, you deserve admiration. At this time it is beyond my capability and resources to do one.
 I know if I inspected it, I'd admire it. I figured it as pretty fantastically difficult to incorporate all that, especially the first time....fittings, parts, matching Mech to circuit...isolation...experimentation??? Problematical?
 You know we want to see and hear about the guts of the mechanism, how/what you used to get the disc aligned, how close it has to be to the...did you use a shroud? What speed does the disc run at ...etc.etc.etc... :lol:
 Oh and by the way....HFO, You've Been Doing Alot Of WORK !!! WOW !

hair force one

Thanks guys!

Hey pete i'm not a genius!
I didn't know you'd posted about that before but i didn't claim to be the first to think of it (think about Jacquard punched cards). It's simply because i can't design an electronic oscillator... I wanted to make an ultra simple tremolo with led/ldr in the signal path, had this turntable motor laying around plug a 9v cell and 1k pot for variable speed, cut postcards, screw it into the plastic shaft... very simple & experimental, found that the tremolo was noisy (misbiased tranny) so i turned it into a fuzz...

Peter: multiple tracks are planned, different discs could be swapped too, putting different LDRs (i currently have 2) is cool but would quickly grow into an expensive mess of parts and switches.  

I have some more samples to put online, with clean tremolo as well. Now the big part of the job is about to come, put the all thing in a box!

(I want to build a disc operated Univibe too, could be cool!)

petemoore

Hair Force One !!
 You Did It...that's the totally cool part.
 I get excited about it because I kind'a thunk it through, I'm just lazy...
 Other than the mechanical dept. the simplicity is the beauty of it...no need for LFO's 'n such's that's...just set up your light, and get something to impede it's path to the LDR...elegant electronically, demanding electromechanically...concieving the idea is as simple as following the path of necessity...like looking at a bird and thinkin' shoot I could do that [If itwern't for my laziness] !!
 I suggested using a foot spinner for a 'revv 'n slow down trem speed sweep, agitate a flywheel spinner with the side of your foot, this would de-necessitate the electro-mechanical, and simplify the mechanical, however you can imagine what the sweep rev would sound like...probly pretty cool, no steady trem rate though.
 You've handled my little claim very well,...I admire this in you !!! I can't tell if ones out of bounds by typeing a concept, then waiting to see if someone else does it first... 8)  ?  :oops:  ?...whatever...at any rate what you've accomplished is to be shined On !!!  :D
 HWew...I think I tried to rain on a parade there... :oops: ...
 ThaT said: Site looks awesome !!! Great Work you're doing !!

hair force one

yeah the flywheel stuff, i didn't think of that. like pumping on a pedal to keep the trem/oscillation from diying, or could built a guitarbody filled with free reving discs that you'd spin with your finger!

Go on and built pete, that's so rewarding...

petemoore

First Ithink I need to do more LDR 'work' or get an LDR with better specs, I tried to make a volume control, and it worked, a little bit...it was two seriesed Photocells, wired like lugs 1 2 and 3 of a pot, Dim the light on one side or the other, and resistances, also shunting to ground varies...just never got it to vary enough to make it worth persueing.
 I know I can make it work and probably will, I want to get resistances that look 'ok' enough [by getting LDRs that meet the criterion] before I go on with messing about with them.

bobbletrox

How big is the disc?  Maybe it could be built inside a little cab so you can sit it on top of your amp...and then run a footswitch to it.  There are endless psychedelic possibilities if a second disc were mounted in a viewing window (isolated from the main disc of course!)

It's times like these I wish I were better at woodworking and metal working  :oops:

hair force one

yeah, psychedelic disc's much more appealing dial than a blue led, hypnotic spiral warps, or Marcel Duchamp's Rotoreliefs:

hair force one

disc size = 10 cm
disc speed = 33 rpm to super fast (the cardboard disc deforms and changes to a fan)

(oh and i added 2 new mp3s (pure fuzz & pure tremolo) and removed V0.1 older ones!) :wink:

hair force one

Built a stripped down fuzz fazze with no disc. Foot casts a shade on the LDR mounted on a LED socket (some commercial pedals have this, like effector13 or LOvetone). Called it Yeti-zer coz you should have a big strong enduring foot to keep it woveling!  

The old-synth-shaped box is a study for forward limited commercial production, it's actually too high/thin/sloppy...