Some Fuzz Face build pics

Started by Dragonfly, January 14, 2005, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Here are some pics of the Fuzz Face that was mentioned in my "lesson learned" thread. Obviously its pretty much an "old school" build...i included some shots of the board before installation, front and back, which may be helpful for someone looking for a FF layout. I socketed the transistors, so i could do a bunch of "testing" transistor sounds and gains. While i originally figured i'd end up using one of my matched pairs of AC128's, the combo of a 2N3906 (Q1) and a NTE-158 (Q2) got me the sound i was looking for. In the process, i found a bunch of cool sounding transistor combos to use in future builds.

Enough blabbering...here are the pics :D (oh yeah...it sounds amazing ! lots of gain and definition, yet still "smooth" !)

petemoore

Great paint job, nice box/
 Neat pot tucking job !!...roomy !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemooreGreat paint job, nice box/
 Neat pot tucking job !!...roomy !

thanks :) i kinda hate when there are wires all over the place, so i try to keep everything neat...

i cant take credit for the paint...its one of small bears pre-powdercated black boxes...i'm diggin' the chrome tele knobs on it...now all it needs is a chrome "trucker girl" bolted on the front of it :D ....gotta hit some truckstops and find a small one....

i thought about using a smaller box, but i really wanted to try out these new 9V clips i got, and they dont fit in the smaller boxes...

RDV

Alex C

Excellent work!  I love seeing inside shots, and those are fantastic!  Great job.

Alex

Dragonfly

awww...shucks !  :oops:

coming from you guys, i take that as a GREAT compliment !

i just soldered up a board for a NPN version...i gave a bunch of NPN germanium and silicon transistors i want to test :)

MartyMart

Nice job Dragonfly !
My wiring sucks !!  it always looks "messy"

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

samzeppelin

can u maybe post sound samples it would be really nice
i saw your lesson learned tread and Ill think i give your fuzz a try with the NTE-158 and 2N3906´s transistors

as above it would be cool with some samples  :P

/Sam
page rules

Dragonfly

Quote from: samzeppelincan u maybe post sound samples it would be really nice
i saw your lesson learned tread and Ill think i give your fuzz a try with the NTE-158 and 2N3906´s transistors

as above it would be cool with some samples  :P

/Sam

i wish i had a way to post samples....but unfortunately, i dont.....

id definitely suggest building your fuzz face board with sockets for the transistors (and possibly the input and output caps).....that way you can try out a bunch of transistors and see what works for you[/i]

rawk on !

Dragonfly

Quote from: MartyMartNice job Dragonfly !
My wiring sucks !!  it always looks "messy"

Marty.

:)

don't sell yourself short Marty....ive seen pictures, and you build some great stuff....

samzeppelin

yeah i will use sockets real smart thing to do
//SaM.
page rules