Question about Sockets

Started by dpresley58, January 18, 2005, 02:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpresley58

I'm new to this game - the question I have concerns sockets for transistors and caps. What do supply houses -call- these, so I'll know what to look for when I check out their online catalogs? Are there variations, and which ones are preferred for effect circuitry?

Thanks in advance for the newbie info.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

petemoore

My favorites are teh Small Bear inline breakaway type, break off how many pins you need.
 For OA's I use 8 pin IC sockets, have had no Probs with any of them types.
 When pinch comes to cut, I cut one 8 Pin socket into 2 four pin sockets.
 I aLSO  buy and cut 16 pin sockets, but waste pins when I cut along the row, destroying pin 1 per cut to separate the 8 inline to however many pins I need.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

I bought a big tube of 50 "6 pin" sockets and just cut away the "middle" portion of plastic for instant transistor/cap sockets.
No pins wasted on these !
They work out at 3 pence per row of three pins.

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

dpresley58

Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

Dan N

I have had bad luck with cutting down IC sockets for transistors. The transistor leads are too skinny and I can't get a snug fit.

sir_modulus

hmm...are you using leaf pin or machine pin sockets? (leaf pins are like skinny little flaps on metal. Machine pins look like a little cup, with a cylindrical rod coming out of it...). The machine pin sockets work awsome from transistors/caps. These are usually called Single inline pin sockets (SIP), and you just break away the ammount you need from a line of them. They are available from Future Elec, Mouser, and Small bear Electronics.

Cheers,

Nish

Dan N

Quote from: sir_modulushmm...are you using leaf pin or machine pin sockets? (leaf pins are like skinny little flaps on metal. Machine pins look like a little cup, with a cylindrical rod coming out of it...). The machine pin sockets work awsome from transistors/caps. These are usually called Single inline pin sockets (SIP), and you just break away the ammount you need from a line of them. They are available from Future Elec, Mouser, and Small bear Electronics.

Cheers,

Nish

I meant cutting up a long machined dip socket to use for transistors. I ended up soldering the trannies into the socket or they would have fallen out.

The smallbear snapaway sockets do work great for transistors. I was just trying to save money.

MartyMart

Quote from: sir_modulushmm...are you using leaf pin or machine pin sockets? (leaf pins are like skinny little flaps on metal. Machine pins look like a little cup, with a cylindrical rod coming out of it...). The machine pin sockets work awsome from transistors/caps. These are usually called Single inline pin sockets (SIP), and you just break away the ammount you need from a line of them. They are available from Future Elec, Mouser, and Small bear Electronics.

Cheers,

Nish

The ones I have are "Machine pin" sockets and yep, they work great for transistors !!

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

how the lead and socket match...
 some leads won't go into the leaf style socket lugs, I use my 'flattener' so make a 'spatula' end to the leads, it's a sears needle nose, and near the hinge the jaw it's flat...I clamp across the leads till they slide in.
 leaf socket lugs...when the parts too loose, and falls out, I use these plier jaws with straight lines across the jaw, this puts a ridge on the lead end, the ridge tends to get caught in the socket lug, preventing part fallouts.
 I use alot of sockets.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.