1. slide switch; 2. wah enclosure

Started by dave h., January 18, 2005, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave h.

question one:
how does one create a hole in an enclosure that would allow installation of a slide switch, for example:

im new at this, but i can guess they dont have drill bits that magically drill square holes. and i ain't about to get tricky with my hacksaw...

question two:
does anyone sell wah enclosures?

petemoore

Well I did it with a drill and a file, using side cutters to finish the lines between the holes, then filing it to squard....alot of work, not recommended.
 What is recommended, is a device that looks like pliers with 45 degree and cut blade[s in the jaw [like one corner]. hopefully someone else can lead you to. It cuts the square corners in a drilled hole [ I should think if the metal isn't too thick or hard],,,never tried one, reports are that they work good tho...I'ts what I'd look for...but I don't know where...hopefully someone else will chime in before too long.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyB

Drill the corners with a smaller, say 1/8" bit, then 'dremel' out the middle with a dremel cutoff wheel..  If you're careful and center-punch the outline of the switch, you can drill the entire opening by chaining drill spots together.  You'll stllp need to file the hole into square/rectangle.
Martyb
Ah, Pete beat me to the post.

sir_modulus

hmm....that's an odd switch for a wah enclosure.... I usually use toggle switches....all the same: USE REINFORCED CUTOFF WHEELS IF USING DREMEL!!! The normal ones just break...and fly all over the place, on jobs this tough...

Cheers,

Nish

dave h.

Quote from: sir_modulushmm....that's an odd switch for a wah enclosure.... I usually use toggle switches....all the same: USE REINFORCED CUTOFF WHEELS IF USING DREMEL!!! The normal ones just break...and fly all over the place, on jobs this tough...

Cheers,

Nish

i'd prefer a slide switch on a wah chassis, since it would have to be side/back mounted rather than top mounted, and would protrude into a mess of cables/pedals/power supplies. the slide switch is a little more low-profile, and harder to accidentally switch (or break off) while "wah-ing.'

the traditional vox/crybaby casings look much too thick for a slide switch, and i dont like the short range of movement, which is why im considering building this project from a used/broken/ebayed ernie ball jr volume pedal, which has enough room on the back panel for the 3 existing jacks, plus a switch and maybe 1-2 knobs. but the EB chassis has some space issues, so well see what happens, if/when i get around to this project. it seems pretty costly already, just for the chassis and such.

sir_modulus

hmm...an EB chassis would work (not to mention be WAY easier to cut...)...but yes space would be an issue.

Would you consider another type of switch?
http://www.carlingtech.com/
http://www.e-switch.com/
In particular...I like this one:
http://www.e-switch.com/series/200.html
best of both worlds...(Van Halen = good :D)

Cheers,

Nish

dave h.

actually i just posted the first slide switch image i found. i wasn't thinking about using that particular one. but that one demonstrated well the kind of hole necessary (close up, big image)

Hailstorm350

LOL memories, I had to cut a square-ish hole in an enclosure for a MCTUBE project (my first one)  I was using a hole puncher that I borrowed from my neighbor.  I actually formed the square using little tiny circles.  LOL looks like Crap.  I really have to re-house this one seeing as the power supply and ac-mains in is right next to the output and input jacks! whoops didn't see that coming! Oh well at least I used a cheap enclosure.     BY the way, I don't reccomend doing that.
Now, don't you start that again!

aaronkessman

there are also those toggle switches that lock so that you need to actually pull up on the switch in order to move it.