LPB tranny choice - UK

Started by BramcoteLorne, January 19, 2005, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BramcoteLorne

what do you recommend seeing as I can't seem to get 5088/9's over here? And I'm pretty sure I don't have a hope of getting the 5133 on the schems.

I've got a 2222a in there at the mo and it's 'ok' - just wondered what other options there are.

thanks,

dave.

petemoore

any NPN si should work [about]
 MPSA18 if youcan get 'em ... low noise / high gain.
 BC109/BC108 would probably sound good/different.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

even better: BC550 (B or C), the newer version of BC109...

Dragonfly

heck, even a 2n3904 will work in there...

i would suggest buying a few of each of the different npn trannies that are available to you and trying them in it...that way you can find the right one for "you"....

brett

Quoteheck, even a 2n3904 will work in there...
Actually, a 2N3904 is a very good transistor.  Check out its noise figure.  Similarly, the PN100 is a mighty little almost all-purpose number.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Dragonfly

Quote from: brett
Quoteheck, even a 2n3904 will work in there...
Actually, a 2N3904 is a very good transistor.  Check out its noise figure.  Similarly, the PN100 is a mighty little almost all-purpose number.

cheers

i wasnt trying to imply that it wasnt...just that its a very common, often overlooked, and VERY useful tranny to have around :) it'll work in almost any circuit that calls for a NPN tranny...and usually works quite well.

one of my clients has a 2n3904 in the lpb i built for him...we tried several different types of trannies, and the 3904 worked perfectly for him...

going OT a bit...i just bought 50 2n3903 transistors...theyre a bit harder to find than the 3904's....BUT...EVERY one of them tested between 80 hfe and 120 hfe .....GREAT for silicon fuzz faces !!!

RAWK !!!!

Johnny Guitar

I have my 30 year old LPB-1 open on my bench -- I looked to see that it's a 2n5087.

I don't know why I have it open, I was thinking about making it "stompable" (since it has a male plug on one end which plugs directly into the amp) and adding a jack on the side and replacing the slide switch with a footswitch.

The problem is, I never liked the sound of it -- it's ALL midrange. It really cuts the tone of my guitar.

The recent "Sparkle Boost" has really piqued my interest though! I may break my self imposed rule against using breadboards.

John

TheBigMan

You can get 5088/9s from www.banzaieffects.com in Germany.  As well as lots of other useful parts, like the 2SK30A FETs used in so many Japanese pedals.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Johnny Guitar

The recent "Sparkle Boost" has really piqued my interest though! I may break my self imposed rule against using breadboards.

John

awww, shucks...im feelin' all embarrassed and what not ! :oops:

seriously though...its a great sounding boost, and im VERY proud of it ! i hope you like it too....

andy
dragonfly fx

MartyMart

I tried 3904's and 5089's in mine, went with a particular 3094 !
sounds great,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Phorhas

Haven't buikd an LPB but the BC549C is my Si favorite
Electron Pusher

birt

i tested 2n2222, bc108 and bc547 in mine... they all work well and i think i left the 2n2222 in there
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Oliver

Quote from: Johnny GuitarI have my 30 year old LPB-1 open on my bench -- I looked to see that it's a 2n5087.

I don't know why I have it open, I was thinking about making it "stompable" (since it has a male plug on one end which plugs directly into the amp) and adding a jack on the side and replacing the slide switch with a footswitch.

The problem is, I never liked the sound of it -- it's ALL midrange. It really cuts the tone of my guitar.

John

Hi John,

are You shure, that Your LPB cuts the Tone? I build lots of these
circuits and never had one that cuts anything..  :shock:

Might be, that Your LPB is not configured as the standard?
Perhaps the InputCap is not 0,1uF - with a 0,047uF You will have
those Low End Cuts as with a Tubescreamer ....

bye
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

MartyMart

Just put up an "LPB 1" post, but just to let you know a BC549B sounds great in mine  :D
There's some "mod" values in the other post too.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

BramcoteLorne

wow! so many options :D

I had a BC108 so I was able to try that right away - haven't had chance to crank the amp yet so I'll have to do that tommorow but I'll also try and get a hold of

BC547
BC550
2N5089

thank's for the tip on banzai too, I'm going to order some 5088/9's from them tonight.

I really like the LPB but I don't like the way the 2222a clips at full whack.

I jus wondering if I can get a more pleasing breakup with a new tranny - thanks for all your ideas, I'll let you know what I decide on.

dave.

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: Oliver
Quote from: Johnny GuitarI have my 30 year old LPB-1 open on my bench -- I looked to see that it's a 2n5087.

John

Hi John,

are You shure, that Your LPB cuts the Tone? I build lots of these
circuits and never had one that cuts anything..  :shock:

Might be, that Your LPB is not configured as the standard?
Perhaps the InputCap is not 0,1uF - with a 0,047uF You will have
those Low End Cuts as with a Tubescreamer ....

bye
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

It seemed when I had it on unity gain the other day (in order to compare the tone and general desireablity) to clearly boost the mid (cut the highs).

I just looked inside my LPB and the caps are both .1.

I appreciate you addressing my issue with the LPB. I bought it sometime in 74 to 75 and only used it for a few months (I was using a SS Acoustic amp and didn't know about "driving the tubes"). My other guitar player used one, and when his blackface Bandmaster blew the OT, the repair person claimed it was due to the LPB. I've only tried it a few times since then -- recently because the LPB is mentioned so frequently here.

When I heard it the other day, all I could think was, "yep! Just the way I remember it. Now I know why I never use it."

There may be something wrong with it though. The circuit is simple enough to build up and compare to mine -- and I like the idea of a "booster" in general.

I also really appreciate those on another thread recently who pointed out that it is: guitar type + amp type + booster type + preference = good tone. While this is obvious in retrospect, I always want to be able to unplug my Strat and plug in my Les Paul and have them operate in a predictable and "pleasant" fashion -- too much to expect I guess.

J