OT: Which type of solder?

Started by Duke of Metal, January 20, 2005, 12:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke of Metal

hey guys,
I am gonna be doing alot of parts replacing inside of my Tube Poweramp (Carvin T100) and going to be doing alot of stuff that includes soldering components, etc..

Which type of solder do you guys recommend that goes on nice, clean and get removed clean without hassle??

Is there a certain type of solder?

Thank you!

ErikMiller

My favorite solder is Kester "405" in the 63/37 alloy.

No cleaning necessary. The flux is free of harmful vapors.

DigiKey sells it, I believe.

Alex C

The consensus around here is that 63/37 is the way to go.  

This thread is about soldering irons, but many people are raving about 63/37.
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=19096&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Here's a discussion of several types:
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=19749&highlight=63+37

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23397&highlight=63+37

I myself have not yet tried the 63/37, I'm still using 60/40 (I had just bought a HUGE roll of it when these threads began and convinced me I need 63/37).  

As for brands, I'm not picky, but I just tinker around with things, nothing I build has to be any good.  Some of the experienced guys can tell you.

Alex

japroach

60/40 whatever the brand at your local electronics shop is usually fine..

Silver if you want to get pricey :P

Kester sounds like good stuff as Ive heard the fumes from most flux can be quite bad.

btw get a solder sucker and lots of spare tips seeing as your working on an amp...

smashinator

And, just to ease my mind, make sure you know how to work on a tube amp safely.  There are big deadly voltages in there.

Ok, I feel better now.  :D
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Paul Marossy

My experience with silver solder is that it does not work anywhere near as well as the 60/40 lead/tin type. It just doesn't flow well and it always looks like you have a cold solder joint or something.  :x

Duke of Metal

Thanks guys.. I'll look for 60/40 solder of a decent/good brand at the local electronics store when I am there next (hopfully saturday)

smashinator.. no worries, I've taken all the precaustions to be as safe as possible when working inside the amp.

Thanks,
Duke

Duke of Metal

oh by the way.. can anybody tell me what the 60/40 stands for?  :oops:

if it does that is.

Thanks

Satch12879

It's the ratio of the two metals that make up the solder, tin and lead (?).  The more tin you have, the lower the melting point and the easier it flows.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

sir_modulus

I find I like the 63/37 solder more than the 60/40 one...I feel the 64/37 just flows more smoothly and etc...

Now since your doing a lot of soldering/desoldering...might I recommend lead/antimony free solder? It'll be a bit better for your health, as it contains no "hard" metals.

Cheers,

Nish

Duke of Metal

hey guys,
I went to the electronics store and I checked both of the 63/37 and 60/40 solders and I went with the 63/37.  A friend of mine had some 60/40 and I tried both of them.

I find the 63/37 to get soldered clean, flows smooth and get removed clean too..  The 60/40 was good too but i prefered the 63/37.

Thanks for the help guys!

Duke

Paul Marossy

Actually, come to think of it, I think I actually have 63/37 solder.  :oops:
Either one of them works a heck of a lot better than silver solder does!

sir_modulus

For a lot of desoldering, I'd get some Desoldering braid. I only "discovered" this stuff recently....don't know how I lived without it!

Cheers,

Nish

Paul Marossy

Desoldering braid is great, isn't it?!  8)

sir_modulus

Yessir! Though I do have a question....I never quite learnt this....just assumed...

How do you work the desoldering braid? I normally put it down on the joint, and just place the tip of the iron on that...and it kinda pulls the solder onto the braid.

Cheers,

Nish

Paul Marossy

QuoteHow do you work the desoldering braid? I normally put it down on the joint, and just place the tip of the iron on that...and it kinda pulls the solder onto the braid.

That's basically what I do. I also take care not to overheat whatever it is that I am desoldering, especially on a PCB, a pot or a switch.

NaBo

Quote from: japroachSilver if you want to get pricey :P

heheh... My girlfriend's studying to be a dental lab technician.  She plans on opening her own lab eventually.  I plan on stealing her silver solder  8)...  :twisted:

Hal

63/37 also has less time that it looks dry, but is actually not yet.  I think its kinda hard to explain, but simply put, it dries faster.