A new build you might like !

Started by Dragonfly, January 20, 2005, 11:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Recently I've posted schematics for a few different effects I've designed....well, one of my clients wanted to get more versatility from his single channel amp (70's Marshall JMP), and I decided to combine two of the effects into one box. He wanted to have more reliable "control" of the tones he has been getting...and as you probably know, though a JMP is a GREAT sounding amp, its kind of a "one trick pony". So here's what I built for him....

...a combo of the Clean Machine and the Sparkle Boost, all in one box. With the "Clean Machine" side, he can back off the amps gain and clean up the tone, without having to constantly mess with his volume knob. The "Sparkle Boost" side gives hime a "added gain" or "solo" channel, by pushing the preamp of his amp harder. If more "dirt" is needed, the Sparkle Boost side can be overdriven simply by turning up the gain knob. By setting his amp for his normal "rhythm" sound and using this box, he effectively turns a single channel amp into a 3 channel amp (or at least a pseudo-3-channel-amp :) )

anyway, its all true bypass, has a green LED for the Clean Machine side and a red LED for the Sparkle Boost side, and can be powered by battery or a Boss PSA120 adaptor. (you can even use both channels at the same time !)

All in all, its a very handy box that I thought you guys might like to see, or possible even build. I'm DEFINITELY building one for myself, as this thing sounds AMAZING ! Now I just need to figure out a name for it....

Anyway, here are a few pics...the outside is VERY plain (thats what he likes...go figure), and the inside shows my typically "anal-retentive" wiring :D .... (when it comes to everything BUT fx pedals, I'm a slob !)

Andy
Dragonfly FX

Hailstorm350

Wow cool idea.
good job with layout,
I like the battery clip.
where did you get it?
Now, don't you start that again!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Hailstorm350Wow cool idea.
good job with layout,
I like the battery clip.
where did you get it?

thanks...as for the battery clip, i LOVE them !!!  if you want to order some, theyre made by Philmore, part # BH102

I order the majority of my parts from Meunier Electronics, as they have GREAT prices, and theyre here in town....  :)

zac102

I'll have to give that one a try, it sounds like it's exactly what I need for my Sovtek.

jayp5150

Why not call it the "Bi-Polar Boost," or something with "Schizo" or "Schizophrenic" in the name?

Alpha579

great, looks extremely well made, good job!
what's the clean machine?
Alex Fiddes

phillip

Nice!  So you have the "anal-retentive" wiring problem too?  I know that having very neat wiring may not make the pedals sound better (well actually sometimes it will...) but I sure do feel better knowing that everything inside is nice and neat! ;)

Phillip

toneman

"anal retentitive" won't last long....
eat a can of beans!!
LOL!!
VERY neat guts!!
VERY clean!!
inside *and* out!!
i raise my beer 2 U...
salute!!
now....
back 2 the regularly scheduled program.........!
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

amonte

*delete* - found what I was looking for.

looks great!

jmusser

How about "Sir Boostsalot"! Very nice as usual Dragonfly. Did you ever see Phil Hartman's, "Anal Retentive" skits on Saturday night live? Once he was the "Anal Retentive Chef'. He never actually made a dish during the whole cooking show. He spent the entire time bagging up the refuse from preparing his dish, into different types of wrappings so "there'd be no chance of leakge in the waste recepticle". When he was the "Anal Retentive Fisherman", he never actually fished. He spent the entire time making a cozy to cover "that nasty looking boat motor". Sound familiar?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserHow about "Sir Boostsalot"! Very nice as usual Dragonfly. Did you ever see Phil Hartman's, "Anal Retentive" skits on Saturday night live? Once he was the "Anal Retentive Chef'. He never actually made a dish during the whole cooking show. He spent the entire time bagging up the refuse from preparing his dish, into different types of wrappings so "there'd be no chance of leakge in the waste recepticle". When he was the "Anal Retentive Fisherman", he never actually fished. He spent the entire time making a cozy to cover "that nasty looking boat motor". Sound familiar?

Phil Hartman was a funny m-f'er !  i love those skits !

Dragonfly

Quote from: phillipNice!  So you have the "anal-retentive" wiring problem too?  I know that having very neat wiring may not make the pedals sound better (well actually sometimes it will...) but I sure do feel better knowing that everything inside is nice and neat! ;)

Phillip

yep....in normal life, im a slob...in pedal life, im a neat freak...go figure....

Dragonfly

Quote from: Alpha579great, looks extremely well made, good job!
what's the clean machine?

the Clean Machine (i need to find a different name for that one too...) is basically a gguitars volume knob in a stompbox, with a treble bleed cap so as you roll back the volume, you keep the highs....and it has an led, true bypass, etc, etc...REAL handy if you arent the kind who likes to have to mess with your volume knob to get the amp to clean up...

heres and easy build diagram for the clean machine....

Dragonfly

Quote from: zac102I'll have to give that one a try, it sounds like it's exactly what I need for my Sovtek.

you'll love it...we hooked this one up to his JMP today and i instantly sold 2 more to his friends !!!

i'll be marketing them soon, but you mind as well build one for yourself... i reposted the clean machines layout above, and the sparkle boost has a thread with its schematics and a veroboard/stripboard layout contributed by Torchy !

RAWK !!!

Dragonfly

Quote from: toneman"anal retentitive" won't last long....
eat a can of beans!!
LOL!!
VERY neat guts!!
VERY clean!!
inside *and* out!!
i raise my beer 2 U...
salute!!
now....
back 2 the regularly scheduled program.........!
:)

the salute goes right back to ya, brother Toneman !!!!

zac102

Quote from: Dragonfly
Quote from: zac102I'll have to give that one a try, it sounds like it's exactly what I need for my Sovtek.

you'll love it...we hooked this one up to his JMP today and i instantly sold 2 more to his friends !!!

i'll be marketing them soon, but you mind as well build one for yourself... i reposted the clean machines layout above, and the sparkle boost has a thread with its schematics and a veroboard/stripboard layout contributed by Torchy !

RAWK !!!

I know I'll love it.  for a few months now I've been thinking about building a volume pedal, I'm just sick of fideling with the volume knobs everytime I want to clean my sound up.  I never thought about incorporating a boost in the same box though.  I have a few friends in the same boat as me that would benefit greatly from a pedal like this.

Satch12879

HEY DRAGONFLY!

Why don't you call it:

"The Clean + Mean"

Pretty snappy, eh?:mrgreen:
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com