Sorry about stupid website

Started by RDV, January 21, 2005, 01:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

If anyone's been confused by my website, you're not alone. They(whoever they are) wiped out my entire sample page and erased all the files . They took it back to the last publish date before the samples were put up. I don't know why, but I'd like to bust whoever did in the mouth. I ain't happy to say the least. I did at least put up the HMP rat version back up. Anybody looking for my samples can just put the word sample in the search engine here and most of them should come up since I'm hosting them somewhere else besides my stupid little free site I get with my email & DSL service.

Sorry

RDV

jmusser

That has a pretty high suck factor! I can't understand why the Webmaster or who ever would do that, without first informing you or giving you some sort of reason. That just boggles the mind, especially since you had so much time involved in doing all the samples :shock:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Paul Marossy

I am very sorry to hear that RDV. I know it's very aggravating, isn't it? About 9 months ago my entire website was wiped out, the nameserver was changed without my knowledge - I found out after the fact when my website had vanished. I have hundreds of hours invested in my site, so it it weren't for my obsession with keeping things continuously backed up, I would have been in serious trouble!!   :shock:

If there's one thing I have learned about computers in my 15 years of working on them every day at my engineering job, it's backup, backup, backup!  8)

Halion

Tip: most hosts (I haven't found any that don't) have a NO MP3 policy, no matter what's in the mp3. They don't care if everything is copyright free, they just don't want mp3 files most of the time.

I'm ofcourse not absolutely sure about your host, but I wouldn't be suprised if they just rolled your website back because they didn't like the samples.

RLBJR65

That really sucks! You had some nice stuff on there :D It's a real PIA you take all that time to try and do a nice site only to have stuff mysteriously disapearing all the time. I was just posting pics and links on mine. I got tired of continuosly uploading them so I'm just using it for temp. stuff when it's gone it's gone. Can't complain to much I guess (it is free) but it would be nice if they told you in advance that they're going to boot stuff out any time they please with no warning what so ever!
Richard Boop

javacody

One easy way of getting around the mp3 thing is to use something like ogg-vorbis. I know winamp supports it. Also, you could simply rename the extension.

RDV

I do pay extra for 60 meg of storage and there is a facility on the sitebuilder program for uploading Mp3s. I think they're just always changing the damn program. The worst part is when I go to edit it, my previous 1st page comes up and I can't really edit it, so it's kinda in a strange limbo mode. I can look at the Sounds page I had, but the files aren't there, and if I publish it it goes back to the old version with no Sounds page. It sucks. I'm gonna redo it though somehow. The one plus is now the entire 60 meg is free again.

RDV

RDV

Welllll I did a new Sounds page and managed to make it look like it did before. I think they changed a format which made it impossible to keep that page cause the one I just did looks a little different.

We'll see.

RDV

Paul Marossy

I keep all of my files on my hard drive and backed up on a CD at home and at work. I edit my pages with MS Notepad or Dreamweaver and upload/download them with a nifty free program called FTP Explorer. That way on don't have to rely on some cheesy HTML editing program that is subject to change.  8)

vanhansen

Sorry to hear about the site, Ricky.  Luckily I've never had that happen to me.  I always back mine up to either a CD or Zip drive.  All of my pages are made in notepad.  The great thing about CSS, which I also use, is that I  don't have to worry too much about each page looking different, just use the same stylesheet.  My DIY pages use the same one.  I have a few different pages/sites that use different ones though (Yankees, Racing, Dimebag Tribute).  I treat them as different sites anyway from my DIY stuff.  I found FileZilla (Freeware under GNU license) to upload my files.

Writing HTML can be a pain in the rear sometimes but I have fun with it.

Glad to see you're getting things back in order.
Erik

RDV

From Verizon:

Important information regarding Personal Web Space

"Verizon Online recently encountered a problem that may have caused updates made by some members to their personal websites to be lost. We apologize for this situation. Our engineering team has been able to recover much of the data for sites affected, but some of our members might still face loss of content on their personal websites.

If you have recently made changes to your website, you may want to check to see if your changes still appear. If the changes do not appear, you will need to reload the information and republish your website.

We believe we have addressed the situation, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. We value and appreciate your business."

Hoo Boy

RDV

Paul Marossy

Well, la dee daa. That's just lame! Remember RDV, backup, backup, backup! Keep backups of your backups!  :wink:

Seriously though, if I didn't have a backup of my entire website, I have been totally screwed over at least once.  8)

RDV

My little site is not nearly as complicated(or as good) as yours. Backing up a site like this does little good cause of the way it's set up. I have the band's site backed up cause I've been editing it with HTML(which I'm learning by trial & error) since it's got a real domain & host.

RDV

Paul Marossy

OK, that's cool.  Just trying to be of some help.  :wink: