Wah output buffer - "SQUEAL" from In Jack! HELP

Started by analog kid, January 23, 2005, 04:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analog kid

:cry: I recently built an Output Buffer(FuzzSite) circuit for my custom Vox 847. Everything "looks" good on the build itself of the circuit and Phillip himself has confirmed to me exactly where all the input output wires should be going , if I followed him correct?(Ill list them here anyway)\ But for some unforseen reason no matter what I have tried... the pedal creates a terrible BEEEEEP!!/ Feedback squeal ONLY when the Input jack is slightly pulled out/not pushed in all the way!! of course the output is connected to the amp at this time. AND it seems to only produce this if an inst. is connected. IT IS the buffer because the trimpot can be backed off all the way and it Stops.  And NO there are no effects/symptoms other than this, once the jack is plugged in it wahs just like normal and sounds great.
Any help is great PLEASE!!!
:arrow: connections :  1+5 to GROUND pad 2 to Lug 3 POT(blue disconnect) pad 3 to 1k resistor +9vlt.   Pad 4 to lower Right Switch Lug(blue disconnect)
Well that's it , as I said I have looked at the circuit over and over BUT if someone here is suspicious of a component/miswire that WOULD cause this I am ALL EARS and it's extremely possible. I'm definitely not new to a soldering iron but I'm only a novice at this work----
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

R.G.

Is there a power connection to that input jack?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

analog kid

You'll have to explain what you mean by "power"  :shock: . I assume there isn't. It is just the stock INPUT /OUTPUT jack wiring Except for the TIP lug having the wire on it rerouted for true bypass (to the DPDT instead of to the quick disconnect on the PCB)  It's a simple FET Output buffer and although I don't understand that much of what does what in a circuit, I just cannot get what would cause this thing to BEEEEP like that when you're plugging in?!  I thought that it might be a common symptom of a problem with wiring in this circuit or the routing from it...
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

analog kid

SORRY , shoulda told you EVERYTHING on that Jack:::
TIP To lower right lug on DPDT
Sleeve to end pin of quick disconnect connector (goes to 10k resistor and 4.7uf cap.)
Ring (white wire)to 5th pin of quick disconnect connector

japroach

If you have a stereo input jack with switch, you can ground the switch so that there will be no input to the amp unless the plug is fully inserted.

Sounds like some kind of grounding problem though..

Maybe a resistor from input to ground would help?

analog kid

Yes I'd like to do that so there is no sound unless fully plugged (if you tell me where to connect to ground/from where) but that's ONLY IF there isn't a REAL PROBLEM somewhere causing this 'noise"  
UNDERSTAND THOUGH: It only produces the loud BEEP...
1) when the INPUT JACK Tip is 'Barely" backed off the tip terminal in the jack. NOT WHEN it's pulled back any further And NOT WHEN it's fully plugged. Just right in that one little spot!! weird...
2) with #1 in affect and an instrument or some input device is connected to the INPUT Cable. (won't do it if the cable is just plugged in hanging there)
3: Trimpot on output buffer has to be turned up at least a little , of course

If you could give an idea WHAT TYPE of grounding problems I should check for (+ where) I may be able to troubleshoot it.
BUT the Main thing I hoped to find here , if not a solution, IS an "OK" that I could Use the wah with this symptom present  w/o worry that something would be harmed over time(as long as I don't 'short' that input and let it squeal all the time!) I would like to know that and then just remedy the symptom as you described. Though of course I'd like to solve the thing as Phillip say he's never had one of these do this.
thanks again

analog kid

I have tried totally rebuilding this little circuit , checked all resistors, STILL when you plug in the input jack and let the tip bridge between the tip/ring/shield a little bit(not sure exactly 'where' it's shorting to cause it) The beepin ass squeal is still there! and it's a loud one.  but once plugged in and put in front of my axis fuzz it is does it's job awsome! I just don't want to leave it knowing it 'll do that every time I plug/ unplug to slow.
No ideas???? I'm gettin tempted to just try building a different buffer design altogether. Mine is Phillip's , anyone know a good proven one ,that has schematic AND layout???

analog kid

does anyone know of another "BETTER" Output buffer to add on to my Vox wah.?? My setup sounds great , this wah that I"ve modded the heck out of sounds great, and it does do it's job in front of the FuzzFace , It wah's like crazy... BUT I CAN"T STAND that beep , squealing that I know I"ll hear every time I unplug or plug in when my guitar and amp are connected!!!  Maybe a different design will do the same thing, but at least then I'll know it's in the ground , jack wiring of the pedal.  
It doesn't do anything like that though when that buffer is not wired into the output of the pedal. OR when the trim pot on it is turned down very low.
HeLp if you can , anyone!

analog kid

IT WORKS !!! I don't know still. I tried the ouput buffer/ matcher by Gez Paton on ROG and it did the same exact thing when I plugged in and left the tip pulled out a little bit. SQUEAL!!!!! then went back to my original from the Axis wah , did some tweaking changed some parts.. same thing.. convinced nothing was wrong with my circuit(s) I proceeded to completely rebuild the first Buffer circuit, I got done and put it  in taking extra care with the ground soldering and WALA!!!! It works perfect WITH NO SQUEaL!!! so thanks for the help anyway .
 BTW  , what are the upsides to having one of these in a wah pedal if NOT using it with a Fuzz face?? Just an extra Volume control???? Any Drawbacks ? it can't effect tone , noise , anything like that right??