In need of a switch for a BOSS pedal...where can I find one?

Started by Kcollins, January 24, 2005, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

I think the two trannies face each other also....

For a picture of them, find the thread that shows how to install a 3PDT in a boss pedal. (That's also an idea right there....scrap the bypass, and just True Bypass it).

Cheers,

Nish

Kcollins

If I had a picture of the insides... do you think one of you guys could tell me what I need to replace? I keep looking but really don't  even know what it looks like.

AL

Go to the top of the page and check out the GEOFEX link. Click on the technology of the Tube Screamer link (upper left) - there is a brief, very informative, explanation of how the flip flop circuit works in the Tube Screamer. This is a good place to start for the on/off circuit.

AL

Paul Marossy

There are also some pages on www.epanorama.net that talk about flip-flop circuits...

Kcollins

Am I thinking wrong or will the pedal be fixed if I replace the two transistors? I don't want to drill and put a 3PDT switch in. Are the transistors on the main circuit board? Paul, I notice no your webpage you have a ch-1 in your rig? Would you mind opening it up when you get a chance and pointing me in the right direction? I don't know what these transistors look like and can't exactly read a schematic yet.

Paul Marossy

Kcollins

That's fine... If you get to it just pm or e-mail me. I'd greatly appreciate it.

zac102

If I might make a recomendation.  Since you seem to have an interest in building modifying and repairing effect pedals, it might be in your best interest to go over some of the information on geofex or similar sites.  it's only going to benefit you to learn how to read a schematic or how the flip flop switching system works.  I just started workign with pedals myself, and I found those sites to be a great resource.

Kcollins

Quote from: zac102If I might make a recomendation.  Since you seem to have an interest in building modifying and repairing effect pedals, it might be in your best interest to go over some of the information on geofex or similar sites.  it's only going to benefit you to learn how to read a schematic or how the flip flop switching system works.  I just started workign with pedals myself, and I found those sites to be a great resource.
That is a great suggestion and I will do much research in the future. But right now I really just need a quick fix for this pedal.

sir_modulus

urgh...I hate you...now I have to dig out my DS-1...Do you have the replacement parts?

Cheers,

Nish

sir_modulus

I'm sure boss is lazy, so the buffer in each pedal is porbably all the same. In my DS-1 the buffer flip flop transistors are 2SC2458-GR's. They are smaller than all the other trannies on the board, and are side by side facing opposite directions...

Hope that helps..

Nish

P.S. The flip flops at the bottom of this schem...
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ds1/DS1_Modified.gif
:wink:

Kcollins

Quote from: sir_modulusI'm sure boss is lazy, so the buffer in each pedal is porbably all the same. In my DS-1 the buffer flip flop transistors are 2SC2458-GR's. They are smaller than all the other trannies on the board, and are side by side facing opposite directions...

Hope that helps..

Nish

P.S. The flip flops at the bottom of this schem...
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ds1/DS1_Modified.gif
:wink:
I'm terribly sorry about all this but I don't even know what a transistor looks like :oops: I don't have the replacement parts because I don't know what I need other than the fact that they're transistors. I know caps,diodes,resistors..etc... but not transistors...

p.s. the link you posted goes to a blank page.

bigjonny

That's cuz tripod.com has a policy about linking directly to images.  Go here.

I'm getting slow-to-no response from fuzzcentral, now, however for whatever reason.

Modern transistors look like this.  Specifically, like this when used in stompboxes.

Kcollins

these are the only two next to each other and facing opposite directions....are these the ones that need replacing? Will that fix my problem?

zac102

that's probably the transistor set, BUT to be sure, you should find a copy of your pedal's schematic, and see if those are electrically close to the switch.  there should be a call-out on the board like Q1 for each transistor that will corresond to its location on the schematic.  

also, that might not be the issue.  all things considered, its probably a bad transistor, but I would imagine that another component in that section of the circuit could be at fault. again, it might help you a good deal to read up on how the circuit works, how to read schematics, and how to identify components.

Kcollins

Well, I found a schematic and to my untrained eyes it looks that "Q8" and "Q9" are electronically close to the on/off. Here's the schematic http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/boss/BossCH-1.gif Could you plese confirm this?

Kcollins

Q8 and 9 are where those circled transistors are too.

Paul Marossy

Kcollins

Thanks! So I should replace those and it should be good? Now I just need to know what transistors I need to buy... they just say c945 p73e on the side. The quickest place to get them would be radioshack so if anyonw would be kind enough to look here http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F017%5F000&Page=1 and tell me which ones I need, I can go to the store tomorrow and fix this thing.

Paul Marossy

I am not familiar with those transistor markings. I doubt that RadioShack would have a direct replacement, and in a store for that matter. One of their switching transistors may work.

Anyone else have any ideas?