Source of Pots with long thread....?

Started by bryantabuteau, January 24, 2005, 08:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryantabuteau

Not really an effects question, but I'm fixing a Jackson C4a bass for a friend and need to replace a 16mm Pot that has a long shaft with a thread that goes most of the way up.  I've tried pulling the old one apart to use the thread, but that doesn't seem like its going to work.  It is soldered onto the active circuit board in the basses rear cavity, and the thread extends all the way through the wood to the front of the bass.  Any sources?  I can't find any in New Zealand, but thats not suprising.

bryantabuteau

umm.  i think the thread is about 3/4" long, its not here right now, so i can't check.  ANd to make matters worse, a center detent would be handy as well :)   I think its similar in length to a pot for a les paul, but different value of course.   IIRC, I'm looking for 100k audio taper.

niftydog

that's funny, I'm looking for 500k log and linear pots with a 10mm thread!

I'll let you know if I stumble across a good source.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bryantabuteau

vanhansen

Check out Allparts, Stew Mac, WD Music Products.  Allparts has one that looks like it may work, part number EP_4780-000.  Check the value of the one in the bass now just to be sure.  500K pots are all over the place, anywhere that sells long pushing pots for a Les Paul will have them.
Erik

sir_modulus

Well....I'd have to say, Antique electronics has some nice....500K ones?

It seems your gonna have a REAL fun time finding the right part...I'd just take a 500K one, and convert it into a 100K..(unsing the resistor trick...)

Elec math helper

Cheers,

Nish

bryantabuteau

rockin'

thanks guys.  the allparts site looks like the go.  Now I just have talk to them about international shipping.

bryantabuteau

gah!  18.50 US shipping for a POT!   I might have to wait until I find some more bits to order.