THAT Corp. designs

Started by gtrmac, January 25, 2005, 04:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrmac

Has anyone here checked out the design notes on the THAT Corp. website?

I was Googling around looking for a compressor design and landed on their website.

Looks like some interesting designs, maybe more for a studio compressor than a stompbox but in any case it could be worth a try.

I assume that the ICs are pricey but it still might be worth it if a good sounding compressor could be built.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The problem with the THAT chips isn't so much the expense (which is reasonable for what they are) but the difficulty of getting them in small quantities (less than a tube full).

Mike Burgundy

Nice site...
Hmm. Maybe Steve could stock some? Or we could buy in bulk with the forum. I'm up for some, like the 4301 and 4311, and 120, which look to be the most interesting for us.
I wonder how that compressor will hold up to the TLA and Klark ones in the studio...

object88

THAT Corp chips are indeed well regarded.  Gyraf has a clone of the SSL4044E mix bus compressor (a holy grail console compressor, to some) which can take THAT Corp's 2180 or 2181.  I've looked at some of the datasheet circuits, and they seem really cool.

StephenGiles

I think it is a question of going through the samples route. I had some 2180, 4311 and 2252 a few years back. The young Essex Tracey at Profusion (is it?) was quite easy to hoodwink.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

gtrmac

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The problem with the THAT chips isn't so much the expense (which is reasonable for what they are) but the difficulty of getting them in small quantities (less than a tube full).

I hadn't thought of that.

If there's any interest in trying to get together an order count me in.

Thee are some distributers, maybe I'll try to get some samples.

Chico

I spoke to Steve Daniels at SBE about stocking THAT Corp chips late last year.  He indicated that he (obviously) has a lot going on in the short term, but that those chips may make his shopping list this year.

Y'all may want to drop him a line and express your interest.

Tom

gtrmac

Quote from: ChicoI spoke to Steve Daniels at SBE about stocking THAT Corp chips late last year.  He indicated that he (obviously) has a lot going on in the short term, but that those chips may make his shopping list this year.

Y'all may want to drop him a line and express your interest.

Tom

I'll do THAT now (sorry!). I have been looking for a studio compressor project recently and it would be great to have access to the THAT Corp. stuff.

MR COFFEE

THAT Corp chips are the creme de la dreme of audio processor chips, but for some reason, the jobbers have all ignored the specialty audio niche. If you surf over at Prodigy Professional Forums, people are always making a buy of a tube of 'em and sell out their excess ASAP.

I hope Steve can get around to adding them, too.

I'LL buy them from him. The VCAs are state-of-the-art, and perfect for a guitar or bass compressor design.
Bart