Anyone here build Nine Volt Nirvana pedals?

Started by Bender, January 25, 2005, 03:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Hi, I searched this site and saw some posts about Joe Gagan's pedals.

(Sounds and schematics for most of his effects are posted at Ampage.)

Has anyone built any of these? I'm most interested in the Dino Fuzz.

Does anyone have the schematic for the Dino Drive? I'm curious about that one too.

Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

petemoore

The EZ Face is used alot.
 The more complex builds are great from reports I've read. Wonderful designs. I haven't seen Joe here for a time er two, great guy, pedals are worth of attempting, I tried the BrontoBoost I think it was, wiring of switches and pots got me, if I was a luckier wire-er or better debugger at the time, I'm sure it would have been great.
 I think M. Hammer was having many clips of Joe's stuff on his site.
 I don't know what he's up to these days, but was selling Very reasonably priced pedals for a time.
 Some of those 2+ transistor designs with the well thought out potting and switching are alluring.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

No clips at my site.  Must be someone else you had in mind.

MusicToyz is still selling his stuff, but that may well be old stock.  Haven't seen hide nor hair of Joe for a while, either here or on Ampage.  Not sure if that means he's touring with his brother Tim, busy tending to business, or involved in something else.  I only hope he's in good shape because he was truly generous with the rest of the community when involved with it.

Not to take anything away from his efforts (and not to mention the fact that he was in there earlier than many others), but marketing a Fuzz-Face/Tonebender derivative (which many of Joe's 2-3 transistor designs are, more or less, despite some innovative add-ons) isn't quite as easy as it once was when the market was less saturated.  Some days I feel like I'm possibly the only person who took a peek at the assorted schem sites and archives and DIDN'T start his/her own line of 1590B/BB-encased clone pedals.

swt

i've tried many of them and have never heard a better fuzz. They're great!.

Ry

I built a skyripper and own one of the bronto boosts that Joe built.  They are easily the best sounding fuzz pedals I have ever played.  I always have one of the two first in my signal chain.   They can each get pretty much any fuzz tone you can imagine, from slight boost all the way up to dark heavy distortion.

Ry

RDV

Lots & lots of Nine-Volt Nirvana samples here. A bunch of Aron's as well.
http://sounds.ampage.org/

RDV

bigjonny

Quote from: Bender...schematics for most of his effects are posted at Ampage.
Erm, where?  I'd be interested to look at the schematics, but never could find any at Ampage.  I looked all around, and its not obvious to me where they are.

puretube

2 clix away from here, on the site RDV (!) pointed to...

(remember: ".mp3" extensions are soundfiles... - then there are others!)

bigjonny

Oh.  Oh, I see.  I just glossed over the files, since I didn't expect to see schematics in the "sounds" section.  Thanks!

Bender

Quote from: RyI built a skyripper and own one of the bronto boosts that Joe built.  They are easily the best sounding fuzz pedals I have ever played.  I always have one of the two first in my signal chain.   They can each get pretty much any fuzz tone you can imagine, from slight boost all the way up to dark heavy distortion.

Ry

Ry,

Have you ever played a Dino fuzz? I'm looking for something that can do boost to heavy distortion, but the Bronto clips at ampage didn't do it for me.......

Did you build a regular Bronto or the Tone Dog one?

Thanks For all your comments guys!

Ry

QuoteHave you ever played a Dino fuzz? I'm looking for something that can do boost to heavy distortion, but the Bronto clips at ampage didn't do it for me.......

No, I never played a Dino fuzz.  I haven't listened to the clips of the Bronto at Ampage for a long time, but it does do a nice wide range of boost to heavy distortion, which is switchable via the channel switch.  I will have to check out the samples and see if they're representative of how I use it.

I bought my Bronto directly from Joe, so I would have to assume that it is a regular model.

I'll check back in later in the day.

Ry

Paul Marossy

One thing Joe Gagan liked to do was to mix Ge and Si transistors together. You can get some cool sounds doing that.

Ry

I listened the bronto clips on ampage, they don't really give a full range of how far the tone knob goes, it can go from a rangemaster-high end to a very, very bassy low end.

It's just a matter of what you have dialed in and how you want to use it.  I hesitate to recommend it if you aren't sure about it because of the sound clips, but I do like it a lot.

Bender

Hey again,

I was looking at the Dino Fuzz schematic and I noticed that the info For Q2 is obscured.....

Which transistor is it supposed to be?