Q about wah pots

Started by Halion, January 26, 2005, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halion

I have an old (not that old, has pcb mount jacks) crybaby. The most basic one. It's at the store now because I never use it anymore (I have an envelope filter that I like better) I thought I'd see if they could sell it for me. It's been there for over half a year.

I just finished building a phase 90 and I got to thinking, would it be possible to fit it into the way enclosure? I know the pcb is small enough and there's only 1 pot anyway. My only concern is the pot, do I need a special wah pot, or can I just stick the sprocket from the old wah pot on the phase 90 pot?

petemoore

I'd say YES. because I've got a SS phase speed control on the pot of a VOX wah, and the circuit all in there. This allows 'expressive control' of phase speed...very nice.
 honestly, I replaced the wah pot [installing a 1 meg for the SS there], and had to replace the treadle driver system for the pot, with a sprung pulley/string and counterspring so I can take my foot off and have it stay in that position.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Halion

so....is that a yes I need a new pot, or a yes I can use the phaser one?

sorry, I didn't quite get that  :lol:

petemoore

Wah pots are 'dedicated' in that the shaft is shaped to fit the drive gear/pinoin system. Pots that fit in wahs as direct replacement are 100k...that I know of.
 The SS speed pot is 1meg. I chose to ditch the gear/pinion drive of the VOX, and install a string drive, like in ernie ball volume pedals.
 The spring is mounted one end to the heel of the wah shell, under the treadle over the case. The other end goes through a guide pulley and is attached to the string that goes around and through [drilled hole in knob] a flat sided knob, then through the top of the case and connects to the toe of the treadle. The treadle toe up turns the pot toward slow, the spring pulls it to fast setting when the toe is pushed down. a second counterspring is connected to heel of treadle and heel of case, a short spring that is 'balanced' [pull wise] to the drive spring, allowing the treadle to stay where it's left instead of being pulled down by the pot's string spring...confuzed now...lol/
 So it would depend on:
 what is the value of the ph90's speed pot.
 Can you get a direct replacement pot for wah of that value.
 Can you tweek a 100k wah pot to do what you want it to to the speed of the phaser...my phase 90's speed pot ... the slow side is about 2/3rds of it's range anyway, maybe a 100k could be made to get the phase speed to go slow and fast enough.../?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Halion

The pot is a 500k or 250k log one, I don't think I'll be able to find a wah pot of that value.

Guess I'll just use a normal encloser and sell my crybaby. Thanks for the info.

sir_modulus

well, there is a 470k Jimi Hendrix pot, and a 1 Meg volume pedal pot....I'm sure you could do something with those... :wink: