AC187 Pin out???

Started by ragtime8922, January 26, 2005, 03:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtime8922

I have 3 AC187's that I never used but when I went to use them today I relized that there is no flange and the leads of it's TO-1 package run straight across. A closer look shows that 2 of the 3 leads seem to be close together on all 3 transistor. Anyone know this pin out?

Dragonfly

all my ac187's have a tab thats near the emitter....

i'd put it in the hfe checker on my multimeter  (npn) and sort out the leads that way....the outside leads will either be collector or emitter on the ac187, so if it doesnt work one way, turn it around...

good luck !

ragtime8922

I have 2 meters and neither one has an hfe checker. Thanks anyway. I'll probably just breadboard the circuit and use trial and error. 50% chance on the first try...

Dragonfly

Quote from: [email]ragtime8922@aol.com[/email]I have 2 meters and neither one has an hfe checker. Thanks anyway. I'll probably just breadboard the circuit and use trial and error. 50% chance on the first try...

you NEED to get a meter with a hfe check...it saves a TON of time...

you can just use a socket in the build, and try it both ways :)

Fret Wire

Chances are the middle lead is the base. Is there a red or black dot on one end? If so, that is usually the collector. A meter with an hfe checker will give you a quick indicator of the pinout, a normal looking hfe reading indicates you have the pinout correct. The hfe reading itself won't be accurate, though. DMM's don't take into account a Ge transistor's leakage when they measure hfe. Here's a link to a site that shows how to identify pinout with the diode test function of your DMM. With some practice, you'll be able to identify a lot of trannys with this method. Also, go to GEO, and there is a layout for a Ge tranny tester (simple but works) in the technology of the Fuzz Face article.

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/semitest.htm#sttvd
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

col

I have used some of these. Of the two that are close together, the nearest to the edge is the emitter, the other is the base and the far one is the collector. I think the ones I had were a gold colour, and they make great rangemaster clones and tonebender type circuits.

Col
Col